GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
joe sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:03:25 GMT
Thomas, thanks for sharing this article with us and it really strikes at the
heart of our problem.  Jammeh must and will go, but a whole host of people
and attitudes shall accompany him.  Freeloading is rife in our society and
unless we change our mindset, we will wake-up after Jammeh's ouster, only to
see another croc replace him and adopt the same leaches for another ride.
Remember, Jammeh took-over where Jawara left-off.  The only constant in this
picture are the free riders, who like chameleons, will quickly adapt to
their new environment to enhance their longevity.  We need to come-up with
ways to effect this necessary change in attitude and the first step in my
opinion is to enlighten the people, to understand that the people they elect
are their servants and not the other way around.  We will be free from this
political prostitution when we reach that maturity level.

So, my fellow Gambians, as we set about changing our destiny, let us also
realize that we have a lot of cleansing to do after the skunks are gone.  At
that time, relationships, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation, or
status will all be relegated to the main cause of national rejuvenation.
Gambian society as we know it today, will not be the same.  For we are going
to build a new and sturdy foundation upon which future generations and their
descendants will be proud of.  Accountability and responsible leadership
will be demanded of all who wish to lead, from the president down.  A
warning to the opposition, the standard upon which you will be judged will
be elevated and we would not hesitate to make you a poster-child should you
attempt to set us back.  I talk about the opposition now, because Jammeh is
a foregone conclusion.  He will be some where in Jail, Morocco, or Libya,
but gone he will.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou