GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:16:49 +0000
Pa Modou, thanks for your forward.  The narratives of Alhaji Mbye is a
chilling reminder of the bestiality that has metamorphosed within our lot.
This is the kind of environment that our people live under, and for anyone
to think that their joining the APRC is going to change their (APRC) disdain
towards anyone that does not sing their praises, is truly delusional.  To
the resident supporters of the APRC on this list, since you'll are so good
at telling us the so called high points of the APRC, could you please shed
light on the narrative of Alhaji Mbye, below.  Is this another fiction that
we fabricated about APRC operatives?  We need your input on what you think
about Alhaji's narrations.  I hope you are sympathetic of his situation and
at the very least speak out against this brutal act on his person.
Historically, you'll have never commented on the countless kidnappings,
tortures, and other abuses that Gambians face daily from the APRC regime,
but I hope that you at least acknowledge that this brother was tortured by
the very government you so passionately support.

Brother Jasseh-Conteh, I respect your right to affiliate with any political
party, however, riding with the APRC comes with a price.  You'll be
associated with their crimes against the Gambian people.  I also know that
both yourself and your leader, Sheriff Dibba know that how long you last in
this love fest with the APRC depends on how long you'll are willing to dance
to their tune.  Looking at hindsight though, we should not be surprised that
Sheriff Dibba wants to affiliate with the APRC.  After seven years of
self-imposed silence, while Gambians were being terrorized, where was he?
He came out after his self imposed isolation and accused some of his own
party members of signing secretive deals with the APRC, but only to make the
turn-around and praise Jammeh's leadership and sign his own deals with the
APRC.  After all these inconsistencies, why would anybody want to tell us
who Sheriff Dibba is and what he stood for?  This man has been active and
dormant in the politics of the Gambia for over 30 years and what can he show
for it?  He is all about self preservation and nothing else.  He never spoke
against the excesses of the APRC during his self-imposed isolation, even
when the kids were mowed down on April 10, so please do not assault our
collective intelligence with such statements that this proposed deal with
the APRC is in the interest of the Gambian people.  Besides, the fact that
Sheriff Dibba has been around politically, for thirty plus years does not
mean we owe him anything.  That was his means of survival just like anyone
of us choose our individual professions.  As a citizen, Sheriff has just one
share in the pie called Gambia, no different from any other citizen.
Brother Jasseh, seriously, do you mean to tell us that all this time you
were criticizing the APRC, you were not aware of your need to affiliate with
the APRC until your "Good and Able Leader" alerted you to it?  Between you
and me, you know that this move of your leader is all about self interest
and nothing to do with the Gambian people or peace.  If countless people
were murdered and tortured by this government while he was silent for seven
years in the name of peace, then lord have mercy had he spoken with his
importance!  I guess we would have had a memoriam the magnitude of the
veteran wall in D.C./Arlington.  Mr. Dibba must really think that Gambians
are really stupid and gullible.  You and your leader have a right to
affiliate with the APRC or any other party, however, please do not insult
our collective intelligence in the process by telling us that Mr. Dibba is
doing it for Gambians.  No, it to the benefit of Sheriff Dibba and his inner
circle in the NCP, and nothing to do with the interest of Gambians.  I would
like to know your thoughts on the above points and I hope you see my
comments in the spirit of honest dialogue regarding the fate of The Gambia.
I don't see you as an enemy, but merely challenging without revocating your
right to cross the carpet.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou