GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:07:23 GMT
Gambia-L,

The e-mail below is a clarification from one of my sources in the heart of
the Government.

Ebrima

Hello Ebrima,

Some time ago, I reported on the L that Cherno Touray was sacked as
Commissioner of the Central River Division and that Retired Major Momodou
Bojang was to replace him as the new CRD Commissioner. Well, this was the
case. In fact, Mr Cherno Touray's dismissal letter was already written. But
once the Cherno's sacking was mentioned on the L before hand, the Government
decided to rescind the decision for the simple reason that the decision had
been leaked to the L. So I am writing to inform the L that Cherno Bara
Touray is still the Commissioner of CRD. This is yet another example of what
I said as recently as Tuesday on the Dumo Saho case: Now, the government
changes its mind if an action it is about to take is leaked to the L. They
have been changing their operational plans once the information is made
known to the Gambian public through the List. So I am now working on how to
beat them on this. They see government secrets announced on the L, and they
change their tactics and/or withhold their decisions. Therefore, Ebrima, I
want the List members to understand this pattern. I also have to protect my
integrity. I am in the center of things; so I am in the know. However,
having said that, the Government is realising the powerful impact of
Gambia-L on public opinion in the Gambia and worldwide; and as a result, it
sometimes changes its tune and strategies if the information has been made
public in advance. Again, Cherno Touray had already been dismissed and his
replacement identified (former Interior Minister Momodou Bojang). In fact,
what Yahya Jammeh wants to do now is to bring his "old hands" back to help
slow down the rate of his slide down the slippery slope. In fact, Therese
Ndong-Jatta is also scheduled to depart and be replaced by the recently
dismissed Lamin Bajo, former SoS for Local Government. On second thoughts,
Ebrima, it may not be a bad idea for us to be a step ahead of them so that
they will be forced to change their minds on many issues. For example, some
time ago, I leaked to the L that F.R.I Jammeh was to replace Rex King as the
new Inspector General of Police, but when they realised the decision was
leaked to the L, they rescinded it rapidly and instead appointed Sankung
Badjie as the new IGP. So if the L can force the Government to change its
decisions, so much the better. I repeat that Cherno Touray was dismissed and
Bojang appointed. Ebrima, they may delay; they may change their minds but
the reshuffle will happen and Bojang will return to CRD as Commissioner.
Yahya is free to listen to his advisers but he is also welcome to browse
Gambia-L whenever he feels the need for help with his decision making. Why
is it that Edward Singathey got his old portfolio back? He got it back
because of the strained relation between Jammeh and Singhatey which was
exposed on the L and discussed extensively. Relinquishing the Fisheries and
Natural Resources portfolio to Edward would also allow him to take the
Energy portfolio from SoS Musa Silla and give it to the Office of the
President. This would enable Yahya to get bribes from the contracts entered
into between his regime and some Energy Companies such as Biwater (UK) and
RESCOM of South Africa. Who said that Yahya is a fool when it comes to
lining his pockets? By the way, the court case of Ousainou Darboe and 24
others on murder charges has been adjourned until the 3rd of August. The
prosecution team, which was expected to be led by Cheyassin, never showed up
in court. Is it possible that Government has lately realised how ridiculous
the whole thing is and want a way out? 25 people murdering one person? It
could only happen in the Gambia of Yahya Jammeh! Ebrima, just one more
thing. I visited the Gambiansonline Website and I was amazed at the amount
of information the L already has on the Jammeh Government. You must shift
through the wealth of information, leads etc already available and do
something with it all. Mr. Hamjatta Kanteh has done an excellent job of
piecing together an old story on the Jammeh aircraft and a recent Financial
Times story on diamonds in Africa. The "end user certificates" that Blaise
Campaore so readily signed may be linked to the FT story. I would recommend
that you study the Ebrima Ceesay's archive on the gambiansonline site and
study them carefully.
Something else may turn up as was the case in Hamjatta Kanteh's
search efforts. Thank you