GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:23:02 +0000
Mr Njie wrote:

>I personally hold the belief that regardless of which regime is running the
>affairs of the country, Independence Day should be celebrated.

"Independence" with more dependence should be designated as a day for
nation-wide reflection as to the journey travelled so far and what  the
prospects hold for the future of the Gambia, rather than celebrating a
mickey-mouse independence in which the role of external exploiters have been
assumed by one of our own. 18 February of every year should be characterised
by open and media debates, symposia and discussions about the socio-economic
and political state of the country with a view getting the views of the
common people on governance and development issues. The bureaucrats, their
political masters and their machinery of suporters greatly look forward to
the day because it affords them the opportunity to divert more of taxpayers
resources to their own selfish ends. It is a massive expenditure opportunity
for them and they even have a miscellaneous budget solely allocated for the
occasion. No wonder, the great majority of Africans are suffering from
malnuitrition, while those holding public trust are getting obese from
living as parasites on our societies. While those who own the money continue
to struggle for their next meal, those entrusted to manage our resources
wallow in A-class food, champagne, speeches and deceit.
What is there for the masses to celebrate? I say NOTHING.

By hook or crook, the yoke of oppression must be shattered!

Reflection day not celebration day! Beran and co.

BMK