GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:17:59 +0200
On 16 May 2002 at 10:45, Dave Manneh wrote:

> If a young life was not in danger of being cut cruelly short, this comedy of
> errors could be an Oscar winner, as it is the "real comedy of errors or rather
> of incompetence".
>
> This is the story of a 16.5yr boy from Brufut Manneh Kunda. Bekai Manneh was
> sent on an errand by his mum sometime yesterday (Wednesday 15th May) evening. He
> diligently picked up his bike and cycled to do the errand. Unfortunately on his
> way, a "semester" (for those not familiar with the lingo, A semester is a
> Gambian from the West holidaying back home), lost control of his car and in the
> process nearly ended young Bekai's life. Bekai was rushed to Serre Kunda clinic
> by a Gambian-Ghanaian Samaritan who happened to witness the accident. They got
> him into Serre Kunda Hospital/Health Centre at 17:00GMT. Some police (as someone
> reported the incident at the Serre Kunda police post) and relatives of Bekai
> from Brufut, Sukuta and Bakau who either happened to be in Serre Kunda, were on
> their respective ways home from work, or who Bekai's' mum had phoned crying that
> her young son has just been killed, all congregated. They were all asked to wait
> in the corridor, including Bekai who was by then bleeding from his head and
> mouth (as he had lost two of his front teeth).
>
> There they waited for nearly an hour, as there were not enough nurses let
> alone doctors to see to everyone.

Dave,
I wish your brother a speedy recovery. I hope that the driver is arrested and
taken to court either by the state or your family.

I think those New Yorkers who received the 20.000 USD gift recently should send
the whole amount back to the Gambia for addressing issues of Health and
Education rather than partying the money.

Momodou Camara
   http://home3.inet.tele.dk/mcamara
   http://www.gambia.dk

**"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's
 possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible"***