GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:55:25 +0100
Yesterday marked the start of the 2nd anniversery since thirteen law-abiding
student demonstrators, a Red Cross worker in the name of Omar Barrow and a
3-year old child were brutally assassinated by your 'security forces'. The
spree of murder committed by them in your name left masters Assan Suwareh,
Yusupha Mbye and Alagie Camara with severe gun-shot wounds and an unknown
number of their student colleagues with deep psychological trauma.
Mr President, you gave hope to the nation by setting up a commission of
Inquiry to investigate the heinous crimes committed on those fateful days of
April 10 & 11 against defenceless and unsuspecting students.
Mr President, the outcome of the report submitted to you by the Inquiry was
a slap in the face of justice. It was an insult to the memory of the
martyred victims and an insult to the living victims and  all their families
and colleagues.  Mr President, In any genuine healing process, only the
victims or their blood representatives have the power to grant amnesty to
any who commit dastardly crimes as witnessed on April 10 and 11, 2000. Those
days will forever haunt and torment the consience of our nation until
justice is done.
All decent Gambians seek Justice, not revenge; the truth, no cover-ups,
compensation of the victims and their families not promotion of the killers.
Mr President, we demand justice. If you refuse to give it to us, we shall
see to it that it is done, some day.

I will quote from the Point Newspaper's December 26, 2000 editorial:

"When the going was tough, when people were outraged in April, the appeasing
mouth and hand of government was heard and seen. But sooner had the tears
dried, that other agendas and other concerns began to prevail over the need
to honestly heal the nation."

Mr President, you have stabbed the healing process on its back for granting
amnesty to the killers of the student and for your government's failure to
pay compensation to the victims and their families and for refusing to
ensure that the injured students receive A-class medical treatment at
Government's expense from whereever suitable. Therefore, the tears are yet
to dry.

Mr President, act now to redress the situation before it is too late for
your Government.

Yours Sincerely,
Bakary M. Kanteh