GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
yeks drame <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:08:34 PDT
Well, I read the report on  the afternoon news paper called
"Aftonbadet" but nothing like Gambian was reported. However, we know
prostiution is a big social problem, and it would be intresting to know how
much our sisters are participating in this  trade.

Certainly, we know from experience that, the Swedish state is undergoing a
momemtum of what they reffer to as "Kultur Politik" and this filosophy is
very nationalistic and egiosentric ,for that matter never valueing another
culture. So its up to us to understand the western attitude towards others.
Sometimes, we can ask ourselves is it only foriengners who are prostitudes?
Well even Gambia is complaing about her neibours for this trade! that is
just how it is! Denmark is complaining about Swedish girls, and the youngest
was a teen ager! can you emergine!

Over the past years, Sweden was a human rigths champion, been one of  the
first countries in western Europe that contributed largely in the liberation
of many underpreviledged and oppressed people and nations, but today,
according to the Human Rights yearly report Sweden ranks in the first places
for disrespect of human rihgts and its abuses, not on physical behaviour but
mentally harashing human intergrity and rights.We have even seen how much
human resources are wasting,  consequently leading to this exaggrated report
about Gambian prostitudes.

From my point of view, it would be ideal if we try, like the brother
Mr.Sillah did to inform others of the changes affecting them and not just to
say "is their problem, not mine". These cenarios happens every now and then,
and we must atleast be concern for the sake of our children. The sisters
must undrstand that we as their brothers are proud of them and would not
like to hear these degrading and backward comments about them from the
media. We all know the concept of prostitution back home in the Gambia, its
dirty, filty and no one associates him/herself with it, simply our norms and
values disregard it as disrespectful and bad.

I am kind of stock on my theses at the momemt but we shall do our level best
to see what can be done and send in our view.

Yahya