GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:54:06 -0500
This is an interesting editorial from The Independent.
Just reminds me of a line in one Ifangbondi song.  when translated reads
"...let God not kill me on my enemy's day, cos if I die on my enemy's
day, ...my enemy would say, he killed his dog...."

Good to be back on the L.

Malanding

Political Blunder!

The Independent
<http://allafrica.com/publishers.html?passed_name=The%20Independent&passed_location=Banjul>
(Banjul)

EDITORIAL
February 13, 2006
Posted to the web February 13, 2006

Banjul

The last minute resignation of the United Democratic Party (UDP) leader,
Lawyer Ousainou Darboe could be described as a major blunder in our
country's political history.

Indeed, we respect Mr. Darboe's constitutional right to association but
his decision to pull out of an alliance that is poised to effect a
change of not only the government but the system of governance in The
Gambia, is wrong in every sense to say the least.

If we go by the establishment of the National Alliance for Democracy and
Development (NADD), the public will know the gist of our editorial. NADD
came as a result of the popular demand of Gambian electorate who
pressurized the opposition to come under a united front if they wanted
to dislodge the APRC government from power. The electorate held the
belief that it is only through such an initiative that our country would
salvage Gambians from dictatorial and self-perpetuating leadership from
running the affairs of our state.

A brawl or fracas within the opposition circles simply guarantees the
chances of the ruling party to sweep the polls in the forthcoming
presidential elections. Life without problems is not worth living. So we
see no reason why the man that held the flag of the country's biggest
opposition party should call it a quit, without opting for
reconciliation instead. A keen scrutiny into NADD leadership indicated
that clash would brew up one day or the other. Frankly speaking, most
people expect that through dialogue, sanity would prevail among a group
of intellectuals of diverse fields. Since politics bind them, so we
don't expect any NADD member to breakaway, especially after trekking a
long and tedious journey.

Some people smelt the rat that NADD would soon split, as the UDP had
demonstrated lack of commitment to the ideals of the alliance. It was
also reported that some NADD executive members have done internal
campaigns to become the flag bearer. The UDP leader used his US tour to
dispel rumours.

Who actually is deceiving Gambians: UDP or Lawyer Darboe? While he
resigned from NADD, two prominent members of his party, Kemeseng Jammeh
and Yaya Jallow are still members of the alliance.

We have been privy to information that the split within the NADD ranks
was caused by sideline commentators. Generally, the split has dashed the
hopes of Gambian electorate who keep questioning the sincerity of the
opposition.

In one of our editorials, we questioned the democratic nature of the new
opposition alliance that fizzle over the leadership issue without
involving the grassroots, as is the case in other democratic nations in
the world.

What should be made clear to Gambian politicians is to understand that
the whole world is laughing at them. The split might be treated a
laughing matter by supporters of the ruling party but it had caused
hopelessness, disbelief and mockery among the opposition. But the truth
is that whoever chooses selfishness instead of collective interest would
be judged by posterity.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい