GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 06:56:30 -0500
Comrades:

It is true that a mind is a terrible thing to waste.  It is
also true that one can succeed in life through hard work.
But I am really disturbed that if you are a blackman,
irrespective of your credentials, Corporate America will
treat you differently.

This is a page I am exhibiting today in my fight against
injustice at work.  As a product of a Historically Black
College, I cannot forget that Dr. Martin Luther King's
dreams were not buried with him.  In fact he left them for
us to continue.  Do not expect people to speak up for you.
If this is true, I have spoken up and I hope your prayers
will forever help me in my suit for justice.  I am a Gambian
and I have every right to demand justice in a calm and
professional manner.

I am emotionally ready to let my fellow comrades on the L
know that I have filed a discrimination charge against my
employer for over 22 rejections for promotion as accountant.
As an accountant I am deeply confined to ethical values and
must uphold the accounting professional with professional
skepticism.  I must also understand that by working away
from this struggle, I will be enabling those who discriminate
to perpetrate and conceal this evil sin.  I was shocked that
the enemy thinks he can bribe me with two raises within two
months.  I said to myself, this Gambian cannot be bought.  I
am as qualified as any person within the corporate structure.
Why deny me the means to exhibit my talent?  Our responsibility
is the overall success of the company.  Rules and procedures
are in place.  Why manage inconsistently?  Why set rules and
violate them?  Why is it tough for a blackman to succeed in
Corporate America?  Is it that some feel that we should not
hold certain jobs?

As a Gambian and also a product of Catholic education, I must
remember that the only person who should doubt me is I alone.
When one doubts oneself, one has given the enemy leverage to
discriminate.  As an employee of the company, I have a
fiduciary responsibility for the overall maximization of
shareholder value.  Why should I quit?  I just cannot and must
continue on the struggle.  I must revisit the cry of the negro
in the hot sun of Africa.  I must remember that I live in a
country that has laws that will protect me.

For those of you who may be going thru with this type of
discrimination, I caution you to exhaust every available
resource and evaluate objectively.  You must be ready
economically and emotionally. It took me four years to build
this pyramid.  While on top of this pyramid I just cannot fall
down. I am positioned in the direction of the Continent of Africa
with a profound desire that this great continent is where I
come from.

I had this deep rooted feeling that I have to let go this
secrete.  I have come to know some and I must profess that
it is a treasure being a Gambian.

I hope you have me in your prayers.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh, MBA