GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Gajigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:22:59 -0700
This Jammeh supporter is really mad :). Here is the story from the Daily
Observer:

Mahmoud Hakim justifies Jammeh’s private jet

Wally Mahmoud Hakim, a Lebanese Gambian businessman resident in Kerr Serign
has reacted to an article published recently in a private paper questioning
the justification of President Jammeh’s private jet. Below is Mr Hakim’s
reaction to the said article: “First of all, as a Gambian citizen, should I
thank you for that good morning article for our leader? Thanks for the news.
We didn’t know that a plane was not a car.

Really, you helped us out. I am an APRC member who believes in democracy. I
hope I am talking to someone who has the level of leadership experience that
the President has, a man who is as hard working as the president, and
self-giving for his homeland. If the president has no private jet to travel
the world, my brother Gambian, just imagine what he would have to deal with
in order to reach destinations such as South, or Central Africa to represent
us as a nation.

It would mean disturbing our brothers in other nations so that out leader’s
safety, as required by international law, is not compromised under the
protection of a foreign leader. “If you have a sense of love for The Gambia,
you would have respect for our leadership. I hope you are aware, my Gambian
brother, elections are over. This is our leader. You are abusing your rights
to free democracy by attacking the man who gives it. “First of all, the
president’s plane is a presidential plane. You don’t have to know who owns
it. It’s not your concern. You should be proud your own leader is travelling
in a private jet with the highest security standards.

The money paid for his plane did not come from your pocket. I don’t believe
your taxes are so high that you should be complaining. The ownership is not
your business, because it’s not tax-payer’s money. “Perhaps he didn’t
mention it for SECURITY purpose. Did THAT thought ever cross your mind? You
expect the president to fly first class in and out of the country. Yes, you
want the representative of our nation to have to wait on the plane for other
passengers to board and disembark in several foreign countries so that he
may conduct his official international business.

You want OUR LEADER to fly transit, and have to board and disembark several
aircrafts to reach his destination. I have never heard of a president of ANY
nation in my entire life travelling on public transport. Why? Because it’s
UNSAFE. Movie stars and Music stars have their own airplanes, and you are
suggesting to deny that right to our Excellency? A child can judge your
article in it’s incorrectness, and you are misleading our Gambian brothers,
because I hope there are not many among us who think in the negative manner
that you do. You expect the president to go through the airport and wait and
make all the flight passengers wait for him for over an hour and a half,
which is annoying for the other 300 people waiting for the president to
embark, in his OWN COUNTRY to board an aircraft that has a LICENSE TO FLY by
him? “Where are your credentials to be advising the president on his
actions? The president knows what is best for The Gambia, not you. I don’t
think you’ve ever had the experience being delayed inside a plane in heated
weather for three hours with hundreds of other people waiting for the
president’s departure/arrival. I believe you are still young, from the way
you address the newspaper. “

Furthermore, I am appalled that he ALLOWED you to publish such an article. I
believe the government should take measures towards the press for taking
advantage of the freedom given to them. In ANY civilised country during the
election campaign of a new leader, press should be given a little freedom to
advertise the candidates. “

HOWEVER, the biggest MISTAKE you can do in your life is to criticise a
hardworking man, and a government currently in office. Face me as a brother,
and I will convince you, because I believe that my experience far surpasses
your own. “Instead of attacking the president why don’t you assist The
Gambia in becoming better? Show your good manners and market The Gambia to
outsiders.

Is this how you present The Gambia with your horrible article to our
visitors during the beginning of the tourist season? It’s almost like a
terrorist attack, you are defaming our country. The country that we all
live, eat, work, play, sleep, and reminisce in. You don’t know, visit other
countries. Find out what happens in those other nations and compare them to
our home. If your want to criticise the president, do it in a private
letter! Do not mislead fellow Gambians by publishing such a ridiculous
article in the newspaper. “Actions like this lower the value of Gambians
around the world, tarnishing the credibility of our leader with your
unlawful and disturbing article. If you don’t like him, wait for the next
election.

If you REALLY can’t stand it, just leave The Gambia. There are many nations
out there. I have my experiences all over the world. I am not defending the
president because he is a handsome man, but because he works like a REAL
man, and such commands respect. From our commander, I give it.”