GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 11:34:33 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/00 2:32:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 Itīs very strange to me that a head of state in whatever country it should
 be, can have a life-guard of foreign citizens. The only one I can think of
 right now is The Pope, but it is a very special situation.

Your experience and understanding of a civil
society vis-a- vis.....Denmark made it a hard sell
for you. The political situation in the Gambia is
not dictated by the rule of law as you may
imagine in a democracy.....instead it is at
the mercy of a single individual...[yaya] and
a bunch of cash hungry bureaucrats who will
sell their mothers to keep their jobs...even
at the detriment of our people.

George Orwell's novel ...Animal Farm best describe
the authoritarian nature of the guy at the helm of
our nation. Like Napoleon in the fiction ....Jammeh
thinks he is always right. Gambian youths like the animal population
in the book were delighted that Dr.jawara's endless
rule is finally over and now someone of our generation...
who feels our pain will do us good.....but instead he
made us paid the ultimate price. Does this remind you
of Boxer who was constantly told that Jones will sell
him to the butcher who will cook him for the foxhounds...
well thats exactly what Napoleon ends up doing to him.

Trust is the most important thing in any lasting relationship.
From animal farm we learn that mischievous individuals
will do anything to get rid of anything that they thought
will hinder their mischief.....remember Snowball ...the
brain behind the animal revolt. He was discreetly discredited
by napoleone....thats exactly how yaya jammeh behaves.
He [yaya] burnt and in most cases dump anybody on whom
he has an iota of suspicion....this paranoia should explain the
hiring of foreign security personnel [if indeed it happened].