GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 06:48:46 PDT
Kebba Dampha:

Yes, I second your motion. I am also suggesting, as you did, that we try and
get the services of Ousman Sillah, one of the most experienced lawyers in
the Gambia.

Ousman Sillah is a man of integrity, but, more significantly, his knowledge
of the law is superb/unbelievable! He was one of Gambian lawyers who
impressed me when I was a court reporter in the Gambia.

But I am also happy to see eloquent Amie Drammeh-Bensouda, a good sister of
mine I would say, in the team. As for lawyer Baa Tambedou, he calls me
"Coach", for I was one of his Soccer coaches, maybe the first one. Baa's
elder brother, Sheriff Tambedou, is also an execellent lawyer. He in fact
defended me when the Jammeh regime sued us (the Editors of the private
Gambian newspapers) in 1996.

Human rights advocate Emmanuel Joof, also a smart guy, was our Human rights
columnist at the Daily Observer. As for Mariam Jack, she was the first
Gambian female, or the second Gambian woman, to be called/enrolled to the
Gambian Bar. Therefore, she needs no introduction

Indeed, we already have a good legal team, but it would be more helpful, I
would have thought, if we could also add someone of Ousman Sillah's calibre.

Meanwhile, good luck to the legal team!

Hamjatta: Yes, I did get your private message. In fact, Sister Ndey did tell
me that you had phoned when I was in London, but I was sleeping at the time.
By the way, I'll ask one of my sources in the Gambia to check that
information for you.

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK.