GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 17:22:18 -0800
Mr. Kah,

I read your analysis of Jammeh's decision-making / leadership
paradigm with some reservation.  I would admit that your conclusions
are alsolutely wrong.  Your description of the military command
structure is correct, and there is a contingent and absolutely
necessary reason for the vertical structure.  And I believe you are
ignorant of how the military institution works.  Your claim that
"developing a sense of rationality is unknown in the armed forces"-
is totally absurd.  If this was the case, the number one diplomat of
the Free World, General Colin Powell who served his entire life in
the military could not have the respect of the entire world, and not
even mentioning the public eagerness for him to run for the
presidency.  I hope this one illustrious example will suffice.
Imagine for a second what it takes to fight a battle against an enemy
determined to end your way of life- it is the most physically and
intellectually demanding than any other life experience, and yes it
takes a special kind of a human being to accomplish that mission- a
person disciplined mentally, emotionally and physically- a kind of
psychological conditioning that only the military can provide in
society.

President Jammeh has his own unique style of leadership/decision-
making( and all of us do have our own idiosyncracies), yet I will
state that your assertions on Jammeh's "commandism" is an
overstretch.  I have worked with him, and I can testify to that.

=====
Ebou Jallow
Georgetown University
Washington, DC