GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 14:58:40 +0000
Folks, below was culled from the Point Newspaper.  I am happy to see the UDP
resuscitated.  I am also happy to hear Juwara say that "there would be no
second round in the forthcoming presidential election, arguing that the
opposition coalition would sweep 65 percent of the votes in the first
round."  My question is how?  What have they (UDP) done or calculated to
come up with this prediction?  Furthermore, there was "No Second Round" in
the last Presidential Elections, so what are we talking about here?  I also
hope Juwara does not mean what I think he is saying, when he said, “We are
telling them (other opposition parties) to come on board. Their chances of
dividing the Gambian people is nil, absolutely."  If my memory serves me
right, is this not the same problem that paralyzed our chances of a viable
coalition in the last presidential elections?  That each party believed that
the others "should come on board, their ship".  I do not think this is a
good start if there is going to be a viable coalition.  How soon we forget.
I hope I am wrong, but I am concerned with this posture of the UDP.  Please
read on.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

Monday, September 24, 2001

  We Will Win On First Ballot - Juwara

The National Secretary of the main opposition United Democratic Party (UDP),
Lamin Waa Juwara, has said that there would be no second round in the
forthcoming presidential election, arguing that the opposition coalition
would sweep 65 percent of the votes in the first round. Mr. Juwara, better
known as “Mbarodi,” was speaking Tuesday, in an interview with this reporter
shortly before the nomination of the Coalition’s flag bearer, Ousainou
Darboe.

“There will be absolutely no second round. If there is a second round, then
we have been betrayed by The Gambian people. I can tell you, I said we will
win on the first round with a solid 65 percent of the votes. It might even
be a conservative estimate,” Juwara told The Point. When asked what
Tuesday’s nomination meant for the coalition, the UDP strong man had this to
say: “Well, it is very important. As you can see on the ground, we have the
majority of the people behind us and this is not just localised. It is
across the country.

I have gone to Niamina and Fulladu and visited every hamlet. I can tell you
we are going to win the elections by landslide with a solid 65 percent of
the votes.” Juwara argued, “The Gambia is sinking and that the people want
somebody to rescue them. And we are prepared to do that.” Further quizzed
what message he had for his colleagues in the opposition, Juwara had this
terse message, “We are telling them to come on board. Their chances of
dividing the Gambian people is nil, absolutely. You can see that even the
NCP is on board... is part of the coalition. It is only Sheriff with a
handful of people that have moved. But the people are here. Presidential
Nomination Sponsors Per Administrative Area - As IEC Cautions