GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:56:17 -0500
Comrades:

This is total nonsense coming out from Mr. Tamsir Jasseh.  He has totally
lost it, and is beginning to find a scapegoat in Mr. Karamba Touray.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think Karamba wrote about
Tamsir's inexperienced.  He in fact commended Tamsir for the work he did
for the police department.

Mr. Jasseh, please understand the reality of your shortcomings.  You are
part of the genocide and equally guilty of the slaughter of innocent
Gambian school kids.  Your personal desire to succeed was doomed to fail.
God does not like people who are only interested in their individual
achievements.

It is not fair for us to condemn dictator yahya without mentioning your
name.  You were part of the problem and will be unable to seek redemption
from the Gambian people.  You are no Mr. Sallah Jagne.  You have failed,
and thus cannot be trusted.  You are as guilty as dictator yahya.

Naphiyo,

Comrade M. Lamine Jassey-Conteh

Gambia
> Police Force by one Karamba Touray in Washington, USA, published in Daily
> Observer 's Tuesday, December 12 Viewpoint column.
> Mr. Jasseh said the article would undermine his activities in the force.
> Talking to our reporter, Chief Manneh, in his office Tuesday afternoon
prior to
> receiving the letter terminating his services, Mr. Jasseh said, "I think
the
> view of this writer is unfair because he certainly does not know what is
> actually going on within the Gambia Police Force. He does not know what
our
> problems are or what the causes are. The article gave the impression that
I am
> the only valuable asset in the entire police force which is absolutely
false. I
> alone cannot do it all. I don't have all the answers. I have every desire
> reform the police, but I am not the only one desirous of reforming the
force.
> There are many other officers who can reform the police force into a
> professional organisation.
> In the first place, there was a police task force set up in 1997 to look
into
> how best to reform the police. A report was presented by this task force
and the
> ideas I had of reforming the police were in line with the recommendations
made
> by the task force. So, ongoing programmes within the police are the
results of
> the collective efforts of many people.
> The laudable aim I have is what other officers in the force have too,
that is,
> to work together to transform the Gambia Police Force into a professional
> organisation that can adequately address policing needs of the general
public."
> Commenting on Karamba Touray's assertion that "The Inspector General is
himself
> unsuitable for his job because he has neither the experience nor the
foresight
> to lead a professional police force," Mr. Jasseh said, "I totally
disagree with
> that opinion. IGP Sankung Badjie has spent his entire life in the Gambia
Police
> Force. He is the only IGP who started as a recruit to the post of IGP.
> Over the years, he has accumulated tremendous amount of experience from
which I
> draw (lessons) to implement my programmes. Our relationship is like hand
and
> glove.
> As much as Karamba Touray is entitled to his opinion, I think opinions
should be
> based on facts. This article is unfair to the government, the Interior
> secretary, the IGP, my humble self, and the entire top brass of the police
> force. I deeply regret it was published without due consultations."
> Mr. Jasseh also observed that there is general "misconception" that there
is
> high level political interference in the police.
> "This is untrue. The police is really free to act accordingly to the
> constitution and laws of the country without reference to political
> affiliation."
> Meanwhile, the government has not made any statement on the termination of
> Tamsir Jasseh's services as deputy inspector general of police. No
replacement
> has yet been named.
> Meanwhile, when the Daily Observer contacted Inspector General Sankung
Badjie,
> he said he did not know the content of DIG Jasseh's termination letter.
> Speaking to Daily Observer, Mr. Jasseh said he received his termination
notice
> by the close of office, Tuesday. He said no reasons were stated in the
letter on
> why his services with the force were terminated.
> Yesterday, Mr. Jasseh surrendered his official vehicle and other property
> belonging to the police at the police headquarters, Banjul.

> if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write
your full name and e-mail address.

--- Lamine Conteh
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.