GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"A. P. Dampha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 14:36:51 +0200
Dear list members,

I just found the following article on a computer powered by potatos. Maybe
such energy resources could be useful to be developed further.
Greetings
Angelika Prox Dampha

culled from usatoday
http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20000524/2292611s.htm

Page 3D

Potato power keeps a Web site cooking
By Janet Kornblum

Like a lot of interesting Internet projects, the Spud Server began with
suds. As in a few pints at the local pub, reports Steve Harris, one of its
builders in Southampton, England.

The Spud Server is exactly what it sounds like: a server powered by
potatoes. Specifically, lots of potatoes sprouting metal prongs. The water
and salt in the potatoes conduct electricity, turning the potatoes into
batteries.

''It was a bet,'' Harris says. He and others who run the non-profit Net
company Temple ov Thee Lemur were talking about potato-powered clocks at a
pub, one thing led to another, and thus was born an ultra-low-power,
stripped-down computer fed by spuds.

''It's not like it's an important technological leap,'' Harris says.
''Apparently, it also works with beer, but we haven't tried that yet.''

 original website url: http://totl.net/Spud/