GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 02:30:27 EST
Folks,
    Britain has announced through it's Chancellor, Gordon Brown, that it is
going to wipe the slate totally clean for some 25 of the worlds poorest
countries debts. The information is a bit sketchy as it is expected that
Gordon Brown will make a more detailed and official announcement next week.
However, I'm made to understand that the Gambia is amongst these 25 countries
(unconfirmed though) but one should hope it is since for the budget estimates
of 2000, a third of this (million million dalasi?) is reportedly allocated
for debt servicing. This would be a huge relieve of burden on the down
trodden who everyday have to trudge in the most miserable conditions to pay
off these debts.
    Again we should all be cautious about this development. Considering how
misplaced our leaders priorities are. One should hope and pray that Britain
and other countries who most likely would follow suit, should have as a
prerequisite the most stringent and transparent conditions that one most meet
before it qualifies for such blanket debt burden relief.
    Call me a pessimist but I wouldn't surprised if this money is mismanaged,
squandered and allocated with priorities totally out of sync with the masses.
Or better still if someone just dreams of another village capital city.
Anything is possible. Really anything is. You couldn't just make it up.
    Cordially,
    Hamjatta Kanteh

hkanteh