GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 11:38:24 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Momodou

 PS I'm not sure whether Jabou added the following to her list : Nyanya,
 Kojo, Hoyan, Njuga, Anna, Yassin, Oseh, Ebu, Bola, Abioseh, Tunde etc I am
 not suggesting that these are 'typical' Gambian names, but are names that
 are not common on the List.

*****************
Momodou,

My understanding is that Saiks is looking for names that  do not have an
English or Arabic origin, but are names that were used in our culture before
our encounter   with the Western World  or Islam, i.e. traditional Mandinka,
Wollof, Jolla, Sererr names,  just to name a few since there are certainly
many more groups in Gambia.  Some of the names you have mentioned above  such
as Ebou and Yassin clearly have Arabic  origins, and the name Anna  l would
guess  has an English origin or at least Western. The other ones such as
Kojo, Oseh, Bola , Abiosa, Tunde l will venture to guess have maybe Nigerian
or Ghanaian  origins? Just a guess on this one.

Jabou