GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:30:46 +0200
Brother Joe Sambou,

Sharing my cola-nuts with you! But what seems to me so obvious and what we
in the first place perhaps ought to address is just what intra-party
democracy means in Gambia. Is it now not just as clear as noonday to all of
us that what we have in Gambian political party history is simply a
semi-organised group of people with vested interests who are still to
transcend the vagaries of a backward patrimonialism? Why can't anyone dare
tell president Jawara, "thank you for your lifetime service, but the PARTY
needs to renew itself completely....so we would appreciate very much if you
can serve it with the benefit of your vast experience as an adviser?" The
same goes for S.M Dibba. Having lost so many elections even before 1994, how
is it that NCP members cannot tell him it is time he resigned as party
leader?

For God's sake do not these parties have a Constitution where the process of
succession of leadership is adequately treated? Can we not all see that
because there is nothing in the workings and organisational setup of our
political parties that resembles a modicum of democracy as the major reason
why they will all be so hopelessly undemocratic even if in power? Is it not
indeed why the APRC, having its origins in the army (where everyone is an
expert in taking or giving orders), should be the worst possible candidate
from which to expect democratic behaviour? Can we not see why they all have
always been so reluctant in preparing heirs? (They want to stay there till
they die! - Remember Jawara's fake announcement to retire in the late
eighties?) We have no right to expect decent democratic behaviour from
leaders who have themselves no experience of such behaviour throughout their
political lives.

Unless the young, active in all our political parties dismiss this current
order of sultanism, politics in Gambia might forever remain hostage to the
caprices of old men, too proud to admit failure and with a following too
confused and cowardly over its loyalty.

Sidibeh, Stockholm/Kartong