GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:06:27 -0500
Hamjatta, rest assured that I can vividly see through what is going on here.
I am also confident that the List managers are seeing the same thing we are
seeing and reading the messages accordingly. When it is all said and done, I
am positive List managers will not succumb to the tactics being employed
here by Yaya supporters. What the writer you quoted and others like him
want, is for us to stand by and watch people come here and peddle lies and
half-truths without being rectified. All this tantrum-throwing is nothing
but people wanting to have their cake and eat it. They want to save their
jobs and their petty luxuries by attempting to defend the indefensible
(murder, rape, theft, you name it). At the same time, they want to come to
decent folks and pretend to be good people. Well, we have news for them.
Anyone that tells a lie here will be called a liar. Anyone that allows a
moron like Yaya to lord over him or her and tells him or her what to do in
his or her respective field, will not be allowed to come here and pretend
that he is a genuine professional. In other words, Pap Cheyassin Secka will
not be allowed to come here (unchallenged) and say that he is a good lawyer,
when he allowed a moron like Yaya to decide for him whether to prosecute
someone or not.

What these Yaya supporters and some misguided Yaya opponents want, is to
come here, tell a blatant lie and then rely on the List managers to tell
people like you and me not to point out the lie. All this talk about
'issues' and us being 'less hostile' is nothing but whining. If we allow
them to succeed in this ploy, we would just turn G_L to another Observer or
GRTS. But guess what? The people that would be responsible for blunting the
force of our attacks will be worse than the people overseeing outfits such
as the Observer and GRTS. The reason I say that is because, people running
Observer and GRTS are unashamed supporters of Yaya. They have a vested
interest in portraying Yaya in a good light he does not deserve. Tombong
knows that if he says that Yaya is a moron, he will be buried six feet deep.
So it is just commonsense that he will not say that. His not saying that
Yaya is a moron, does not by any means prove that Yaya is a smart man. So
knowing what we know about Tombong's vested interests, does it make sense
for us in the Opposition to apply standards set by Tombong? Tombong is not a
stupid man. He saw what happened to Peter Gomez and numerous others. The man
is not going to commit suicide by being honest to Yaya. Oddly enough, I do
not blame him for that as much as I blame Opposition members that would
allow themselves to be hoodwinked by Tombong and his cohorts.

To the people that think that we are hostile and hateful, I just ask them to
name a single person we have killed so far; or to name a single family we
have rendered destitute by making the bread-winner of the family lose his
job because he said something we do not like. I agree that we hurt a lot of
people by what we say. But the truth hurts people that do not want to be
honest to themselves. Tell those people to be honest. We might not be able
as of now to hold a gun at Yaya's head and blow his brains out, but we are
doing to him and his cohorts something more painful. I bet the vermin has
never been more embarrassed in his life than the days he was surrounded in
New York by MRDGNY. People like Tombong were radicals at one point in their
lives. They have lateral thinking and are critical. Believe me when I say
that they are aware of every wrong and illegal move Yaya makes. They all
know that Yaya ordered the massacre of our children. They all know that Yaya
also wants a cover up now. Those that are interested can revisit some of
Tombong's mails immediately after the massacre. What these people are
banking on, is for the rest of the country to be uncritical. They want the
rest of the country to play like dumb fools that do not understand good from
evil. When they murder our children, they want us to believe that it was our
children's fault. Or if we do not believe that, at least to keep quite about
any critical thoughts we might have. I for one refuse to be a dumb fool.
After April 11, 2000, I vowed that I will not sit silent and watch these
vermin take us for a ride.

They do not want us to be critical. Like Saul Khan once said, in our
society, if you are critical, they want to brand you as hateful, envious,
rude, hostile and all sorts names. I will accept such criticism from someone
with the moral backbone to always speak the truth, come what may. I will not
accept that kind of criticism from someone that will condone a massacre of
more than a dozen children, abduction of innocent citizens, corruption of
biblical magnitude and other vices. If I challenge people like Tombong and
ask them how they can live with themselves knowing what they know about Yaya
and his gang, politically correct fanatics will perceive that as a personal
attack. If I ask Tombong to reconcile his past beliefs with the rampant
corruption that goes on in that country, there will be people in our midst
that will come out to defend the man without even giving him a chance to
defend himself. If I ask Tombong to explain his views about what happened to
Pap Cheyassin Secka (knowing that Tombong had and might still have a close
relationship with Secka), some people will object to that because they will
see that Tombong is being placed on the firing line. These are all
legitimate questions to pose to Tombong. If this very man few years ago was
speaking out against corruption at the top of his voice, blaming people in
the former regime for destroying our country, why should we not ask him to
reconcile those views with the ones he currently holds?

All these talks about 'issues', is a smoke-screen. Hamjatta, you and me,
have brought and discussed in this forum more substantive issues during the
past few months than most of these freaks coming out with this magical word
('ISSUES') now. We are yet to hear what this word means to them. I for one
will continue talking about things that are important to me and I think are
important to people back home. I will not disturb anyone on G_L that wants
to discuss with Tombong or anyone for that matter about wrestling or Youssou
N'dour. So I beg them also not to disturb me if I want to talk about the
massacre of our children, the illegal abduction and incarceration of Dumo et
al, the Basse ambush, the arson attack at Radio FM, the Ebrima Barry torture
and murder and numerous other human rights abuses in the country.

We refuse to mystify Yaya. We refuse to discourage our people from being
critical. If what we say hurts Yaya sympathizers, they can come out and
debunk our lies. But please let us stop this whining about people's
language. Let us discuss 'ISSUES'.
KB