GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 18:18:30 -0400
King George,
I hope you wouldn’t mind since you knighted me before as Sir Ebou...:)
I like the new spirit in which you presented your case, and I sincerely
hope that you will habituate this disposition in the future.  I would
like to state my opinion on this issue if you don’t mind.
I do not think Mr. Sidibeh insulted Y.C. Jow in any way.  His tone may
sound somewhat confrontational but was never profane in any fashion;
and of course provided we all consent to the definition of an insult
according to the Webster’s Dictionary:  an act that offends a person’s
dignity.  The word “imbecile” or stupid as you mentioned does not bear
any graphic connotation that violates public decorum as the
phrase “D**k-head”.  I believe if this was the case then the words “it
is the economy, STUPID” would never have been a mantra in any
presidential campaign.

Now I do not know what your definition of “smart” means but I know for
a fact that matriculating into a prestigious institution, although a
great achievement, is a function of a multitude factors that have very
little to do with IQ.  Recent studies have established that Albert
Einstein, arguably the greatest scientist so far, did not have a very
superior IQ...in fact he is an intellectual Lilliput compared to
Goethe, Leibniz, Wittgenstein, Hawkings and many others.  The point is
there is a sharp distinction between IQ and academic achievement.  Yet
still modern research in psychology has revealed that IQ comes in a
multitude of forms.  Emotional intelligence i.e. the ability to use
reason to check unbridled passions in social discourse can only be
achieved through the habituation of virtues- which most Gambians
receive from their homes in early childhood.  The ancient Romans call
this “adequatio” or YARR ACK TEGGIN in wollof.
Now King George you be the judge.

Ebou