GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:51:36 -0400
Well Joe,

This is what I know for a fact:  I recalled back in 1995, whilst on a
mission at Phoenix, Arizona the late Rev. Sullivan initiated talks for
the save return of Sir. Dawda and his family on humanitarian grounds.
I promised him then that I will try and convince Jammeh about the
issue.  I recalled calling Jawara on several occassions to the chagrin
of some AFPRC members, nevertheless Jammeh was short of reluctant since
Jawara's position was ambivalent or sometimes vague to say the least.
There were factions of old time PPP guards trying to push Jawara on
different directions, and it was quite obvious that Jawara was pent up
and too old to furnish any solid leadership from exile.  The "Jawara
myth" long outlasted the opposition's perception of the political
realities at play.  Thus all these schizophrenic reactions from all
corners.
It shall be a tragic error if the opposition especially UDP and OJ try
to politicize this issue-  the outcome will be a complete disaster.
The least that Waa Juwara or OJ could do is to thank Jammeh for this
noble step, and appeal to the conscience of the Government to extend
the reconciliatory gesture to the rest in the Diaspora-  This is
prudent politics, and I believe the ultimate result shall be un-
imaginable.  It is time to let go the quintessential "Gambian politics
of vengeance".  Nobody forced Jawara to accept the amnesty, and I
completely trust his wisdom.  Jawara's return to the Gambia is of no
political consequence, it is a risk that both President Jammeh and Sir
Dawda have to take to ensure a healthy trend towards peace and
reconciliation.  Everybody gains from this move in the long run, and I
believe the other "exiles" will eventually return home.  All these wild
speculations are absolutely unnecessary.  Leave the gentleman alone
christ sake!

Ebou.