GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 16:09:45 -0400
Yusupha, apart from you, no one in this debate is saying that vote-buying
was the main reason for the Kiang debacle. You are misquoting me again.
Don't try to score cheap points. Stick to the facts. Again, quote for me
where I said in this debate that vote-buying was the main cause of the
debacle. I need not reiterate my point of view which should have been
obvious to you by now.

I am glad that you admitted that you made misstatements about the election
date. The mistake is yours and not mine. Are you now telling me that there
was a bye-election in Kiang in 1997 where 800 registered voters did not
vote? Please educate me. I have not been following Gambian politics that
much in the past six years.

About analyzing the numbers, can I put it this way one last time? Before we
attribute low voter turn-out to voter-apathy, don't you think it is logical
to find out why voters might be apathetic? For instance, if we were to
assume that the low voter turn-out was due to the fact that some registered
voters died, don't you think it is logical to ascertain whether people
actually died; like we should ascertain whether people are actually
apathetic? See, you cannot just look at the figures and jump to conclusions.
We are not dealing with machines here. We are dealing with people that might
have various reasons for being absent on election day. Some might have died;
others apathetic; others disenfranchised through vote-buying etc. In order
to know which is which, we have to look beyond the figures and to the FACTS.

Finally, quit debating whenever you wish. No one is holding a gun to your
head forcing you to respond to my 'unsubstantiated facts'.
KB