GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:06:39 -0500
Comrades:

Now that Mr. Hernlund has co authored a book on
female circumcision, I wonder how much he will
earmark in educating us about any potential
danger on this sensitive issue.

Being a child of the rural areas, I am skeptical
of  the net effect of Mr. Hernlund's narratives.
I am proud to say that no one has died of
complications as a result of female circumcision
in my native Kombo East District, despite western
illusions.  My grandmother who was one of the
elders of this tradition had always told me to
not even discuss this topic because it is a
woman's issue.

I am concern that some women have taken this as
a crusade for women's rights.  With all due
respect, we can convince our elders if we
approach female circumcision from a moderate
point of view.  The word "FGM" if interpreted in
any Gambian language will upset many Gambian
women.  I think "FGM" should be replaced with
just female circumcision. I want to assure The
Gambian women that I believe in gender equality.
I am, however concern about the division this
might cause in our society.  Please let us use
our culture to curb female circumcision.

In trying to reach your audience one has to be
very careful in the choice of words.  Those who
are advocating a ban on female circumcision
should try and live with the locals and assimilate
in the culture before they bombard them with their        western
ideologies.

I hope the audience is not interpreting my             annunciation has a
proponent of female circumcision.           In fact, I am oppose to it, but
I would rather             engage The Gambian women from a lay person's
point of view than subject them to western illusions.          Our African
culture should stay intact, but we also
must change as the world changes around us.                      An elder in
the rural areas or in the cities
of The Gambia will understand us clearly if we
approach them in our rich Gambian culture.                       We must
clearly know that western ideologies                     are not supreme.

With the passage of time the West has tried numerous
times to set the clock for us.  Some people have
come with false hope of salvaging us.  It is sad to
say that this people are only interested in enriching
themselves.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh