GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:40:38 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 003/2008, 7 – 8 January  2008

Editorial
DIALOGUE BETWEEN A GAMBIAN AND
A CUBAN IMMIGRANT IN  THE USA
A Cuban and Gambian immigrant met in a bar in the USA. After having  some
sips they began to chat. The Cuban immigrant expressed his frustration  regarding
the quality of life of the ordinary Cuban who has been receiving food  ration
for decades. He expressed his dream of the day when Cuba will be like the
USA with new model cars and other media gadgets to get the latest news from any
channel one desires. After he finished his story, he asked the Gambian how
long  he had been in the US and what brought him there. The Gambia kept quiet
for a  while not knowing what to say. The Cuban expressed anxiety. The middle
aged  Gambian told him that he has been in the US for 25 years. The Cuban
retorted,  “So you too have had a dictator for this long?” The Gambian thought for
a while  and said “We had a democratic leader before who ruled for 29 years
and then a  dictator took over 13 years ago.” Was your country as developed as
the US during  the era of the democratic leader?” asked the Cuban exile. The
eyes of the  Gambian exile began to form a pool of water. When he had the
courage to be  honest, he told the Cuban exile that he grew up in a village and his
family had  to assign him the responsibility of looking after the cows when he
was young. He  explained that he lived with the flies, ticks and lice and
hardly took bath with  soap. He added that he almost did not go to school but was
just lucky to be  saved by missionaries who gave him the opportunity to go to
primary school. He  narrated the hardship he faced in the city when his
parents sent him to stay  with a family friend to be able to attend high school. He
described the  congested environment, where six children would sleep on the
floor at night and  how twelve adults would surround a basin of food to eat. He
described his near  starvation existence. He told the Cuban that when he
engaged in correspondence  and finally got the opportunity to go to the USA he
made the best use of it to  get good education and a secure job. The Cuban asked
him whether things have  changed for the better. He indicated that the
situation is worse under the  dictator. He explained how people follow him like flies
for crumbs whenever he  comes home and how children still sleep on the floor
in congested rooms and  struggle for few mouths full of food from basins
surrounded by a platoon of  hungry mouths.
The Cuban asked him what he is doing about the problem. He  indicated that
they have formed a movement for Democratic change which intends  to salvage the
country. He asked for the priority of the movement and the  Gambian indicated
that they must first discredit a party which wants to turn the  Gambia into a
Cuba before coming face to face with the dictator. The Cuban  became confused.
He could not understand how a country where people do not even  receive
ration of meat, milk, eggs or chicken but do surround basins to eat  could be made
worse. He could not understand how a country, where people walk on  raw liquid
waste, sleep under huts and leaking roofs never knowing what tooth  paste or
tooth brush is, could be made worse. He therefore bid the Gambian  goodbye. As
he got into his car, he murmured “I definitely want a democratic and
developed Cuba but not the type of country which my Gambian friend described.  This
guy must be building castles in the air .” It is indeed true that anybody  who
measures development in a developing country not by the quality of life of
the citizenry but by the the number of fashionable cars and gadgets one sees in
the street, is certainly living in a castle in the air.”
As we enter a  New-year, genuine Gambian patriots should focus on the
suffering of our people  and strategise on how to create a free and prosperous
Gambia. They must  distinguish those who want change to better themselves and those
who want change  to eradicate the suffering of the people.
Those who refer to the people as  half educated citizens are the future
pompous tyrants who will enjoy the fruits  of public office while the citizenry
wallow in misery and poverty. All the doors  are being closed to the Gambian
youth. The only road to salvation is to open  their eyes and distinguish leaders
from rulers. Foroyaa can be relied on to give  you proper guidance for you to
take charge of your destiny once and for  all.

Nominated Councillors Split Over Amendment
Of Local Government  Act.

By Modou Jonga
Nominated Candidates for the forthcoming Local  Government Elections in the
Brikama Administrative Area are split over the  amendments of the local
Government Act. Speaking to this reporter at the IEC  Regional Office in Brikama, the
APRC candidate for Jiboro ward, in the Kombo  East district, Mr. Ebrima
Kujabi, faulted the decision to amend the Act. Mr.  Kujabi said he concurred with
the statement made by the Wuli West NAM, Hon.  Sidia Jatta, that the National
Assembly should study every law critically before  imposing it on the people.
Mr. Tumani Sambou, APRC candidate for Wassadu  ward, in Foni Jarrol district,
said the amendments seek to disempower the  people. Mr. Sambou noted that the
Amendment Act does not enhance  decentralization but instead it derails it.
The nominated APRC candidate for  Sanyang ward, in Kombo South, Mr. Saja
Gibba, said the Amendment Act would  ensure that rapid and responsive decisions
are made at the councils.
Ms.  Mariama Bah Saine, the  APRC candidate for Banjulinding ward, said the
Act  is timely and appropriate. APRC candidates for Kartong ward, Mr. Lamin
Tamba  Jammeh, Momodou Ceesay for Kembujeh ward and Mr. Bakary S. Sanneh for
Kusamai  ward, in Foni Bintang, have all admitted that they do not fully
comprehend the  whole content of the Amendment; but they were quick to point out that
there is  need for the president to be given powers to remove elected
councilors who do  not measure up to expectations. The Independent candidate for
Kusamai ward, Mr.  Yunus Gibba, said the amendment is incorrect; that it amounts to
seizing the  power of the people. Mr. Ismaila Badjie, the independent
candidate for Bullock  Ward said the Amendment is a progressive move by the
legislators.
Readers  could recalled that the bill for the amendment of the Local
Government Act,  which was approved by a majority of the National Assembly, was tabled
by Ismaila  Sambou, Secretary of State for Local Government, Lands and
Religious Affairs, at  an extra-ordinary meeting of the National Assembly on October
31, 2007. The  amendment seeks to disqualify the election of local government
chairpersons by  universal adult suffrage, excluding mayors and mayoresses.
The amendment also  gives power to the president to remove the mayor/chairman,
deputy mayor/  chairman or other members of council. The amendment bill calls
for the  dissolution of councils three months before Local Government
Elections and the  appointment of a management team by the president to run them
before election.  The dissolutions and the appointments of management teams have
already been  effected.
On his part, Mr. Alieu Darboe, UDP Candidate for Kembujeh ward, in  Kombo
Central, stressed that the amendment is unjustifiable and needs to be  revisited.

Independent Candidates React To APRC’s Press Release

By  Modou Jonga
Three Independent Candidates in the Western Region had, on  Friday, 4
January, 2008 reacted to a recent press release issued by the APRC  leadership. Mr.
Ismaila Badjie, Independent Candidate for Bullock ward in Foni  Brefet, said
that his expulsion from the ruling APRC party cannot in any way  affect his
chances of winning in the forthcoming local government election. He  said he is
the popular choice of his people adding that his symbols and  materials are
different from that of the APRC. The independent candidate advised  the electorate
in his ward to conduct themselves in accordance with the campaign  code of
conducted laid by the Independent Electoral Commission. “It will not  affect my
chances and I’m confident of winning, come January 24" assured Mr.  Badjie.
For his reaction, the Independent candidate for Kusamai Ward in Foni
Bintang, Mr. Yunus Gibba, said his expulsion will not derail his chances of  winning
in the forthcoming election. “My expulsion will not affect my chances of
winning,” said, a confident looking, Mr. Gibba. He added that his candidacy on  an
Independent platform is motivated by the will of the people of his  ward.
Speaking to Foroyaa, shortly after he was nominated, the Independent
Candidate for Marakissa ward in Kombo Central, Mr. Lamin Jarju, said he is the
choice of the people of his ward. Mr. Jarju dismissed his expulsion from the  APRC
as an incident that will not affect his chances of winning in the January
polls.
The press release which was published by the Daily Observer on 3  January,
2008 has indicated that any APRC sympathizer who choose to contest the
forthcoming election on an Independent ticket, after failing to be selected,  risks
expulsion from the ruling APRC for ten years.

Constitutional  Amendment Discriminatory -
Ousainou Darboe

By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Ousainou Darboe, the lawyer representing the United Democratic Party,  the
National Reconciliation Party and Momodou Sanneh in the ongoing civil suit
against the Independent Electoral Commission and the Attorney General, has told
the Supreme Court, on Friday, that the recent amendments in the Constitution of
 the Republic of the Gambia and the Local Government Act are discriminatory
legislations.
Mr. Darboe was speaking against the preliminary objections  filed by the
Attorney General, Marie Saine Firdaus. The plaintiffs are  challenging the recent
amendments in the constitution and the Local Government  Act which
disqualifies the election of local councils’ chairpersons by universal  adult suffrage.
The amendments also give power to the president to fire  elected councilors.
Mr. Darboe said the law giving the president power to remove  elected
councilors and mayors is made in excess of the power conferred on the  National
Assembly and the President.
Mr. Darboe told the Supreme Court that  the suit is not an attack on the
procedures of the National Assembly as claimed  by the defendant, stressing that
no one would doubt that such a constitutional  issue has never been raised in
this jurisdiction.
Lawyer Darboe said that a  political party cannot be a member of a political
party, noting that it is  individuals who can be members of a party. He added
that the resignations of  Hamat Bah and Ousainou Darboe from the National
Alliance for Democracy and  Development (NADD) do not mean that the NRP and UDP
are members of NADD.
Mr.  Darboe said it is a well known fact that both the NRP and UDP are
registered  political parties that had contested the 2006 Presidential and 2007
National  Assembly Elections.
He argued that NADD is a separate entity from UDP and NRP  and the third
plaintiff is a UDP member who is the minority leader of the  National Assembly. He
countered the first defendant’s notion that the plaintiffs  do not have the
locus standi (the right) to bring the suit to court, arguing  that they are
bonafide operating political parties.
On the claim that the  suit is an abuse of court process, Darboe said what is
even frustrating is the  Attorney General’s preliminary objection.
Hearing continues today at the  Supreme Court before Chief Justice Abdou
Karim Savage.

Remanded Insurgent
Complains Of Poor Health

By Bubacarr k.  Sowe
Abdou Salam Jammeh, one of the alleged Cassamance insurgents who is on  trial
at the Banjul Magistrates Court, on Wednesday, complained of poor health  to
the court.
Mr. Jammeh and his eight co-defendants are charged with spying,  planning
attack on Senegal and unlawful possession of Gambian national  documents. He
appealed to the court to act on humanitarian grounds and allow  them to sit down
while in court, noting that about three quarter of them are  suffering from
beri beri.
Presiding Magistrate, Baboucarr Y. Camara, said  that the procedure is that
accused persons have to stand while being tried, but  added that he would need
medical evidence to prove their sickness.
Magistrate Camara told the group that they have a right to complain to the
Prison authorities for medical treatment.
Mr. Jammeh said that their  relatives do not have access to them. He urged
the magistrate to halt the trial  because they will die of the sickness.
On Jammeh’s appeal for the Court to  allow visitors to see them, Emmanuel
Fagbenle, Director of Public Prosecution  (DPP), said the accused persons need to
identify a person to the prison  authorities.  The accused, however, objected
to this statement when he  said, “Even if we are dying, they will not do
anything, the DPP does not know  what is happening there”.
Magistrate Camara also said he had not heard of any  beri beri in this
country, pointing out that it is a disease associated with  ancient sailors and not
eating proper food.
The court did not pronounce any  decision on the matter.

OPINION
A dangerous cult syndrome looms in The Gambia

By D. A.  Jawo

While I wish to join other Gambians and non-Gambians alike in  congratulating
President Yahya Jammeh and his wife on the birth of their baby  son, Mohamed,
I also wish to take this opportunity to make my own observations  on what I
perceive to be a negative trend in the development of this  country.
Like most other Gambians concerned about the welfare of this  country, I am
very much concerned about the wide implications of the lavish  ceremony that
was organized for the naming ceremony for Baby Mohamed. Apart from  the
unnecessary cost that was no doubt involved, it was also quite unprecedented  for a
naming ceremony anywhere in the world to be declared a public holiday. It
certainly does not happen in even the most autocratic regimes, let alone in a
country which claims to be a democracy. I have no doubt that it has never
happened even in a country like Turkmenistan, whose former leader, Saparmurat
Niyazov, not only ordered his citizens to call him Turkmenbashi, or father of  the
Turkmen, but also created the world’s most relentless personality cult.  Among
his actions was to rename the month of January after himself and April  after
his mother. He also banned such mundane things like ballet dancing, gold
teeth and recorded music, and ordered the construction of a lake in the midst of
the desert and a ski resort on the snowless foothills of the Turkmenistan
border  with Iran. Are we heading for such a situation in The Gambia?
What we have  seen is certainly an apparent indication that The Gambia is
gradually sliding  towards a cult syndrome of the worst proportion ever seen in
Africa, worse than  what happened under such dictators like Jean Bedel Bokassa
and Idi Amin Dada. In  fact, even such buffoons had never declared the naming
ceremonies of their  children as public holidays. We therefore seem to be
dealing with a more strange  phenomenon.
Apart from the millions of Dalasi no doubt spent on the occasion,  we can
also imagine the great loss suffered by both the public and the private  sector
for being forced to take an unplanned public holiday as well as the
mobilization of government resources, including the engagement of the Gambia  Radio and
Television Services for the whole day to broadcast messages and  commentary in
support of President Jammeh and Baby Mohamed, as if it is a  private
institution owned and financed by him alone.
We were also witnesses  to the millions of Dalasi worth of gifts made to
President Jammeh, during the  run up to the naming ceremony, which included money
which belonged to the  Gambian tax payers being donated by parastatals and
other public institutions  without the authority of the tax payers. It is indeed
quite hard for anyone to  justify the use of public funds to pay for anyone’s
naming ceremony.
Another  interesting aspect of this unprecedented naming ceremony was the
gender  dimension. While this is not the first time that President Jammeh is
having a  child, but one would tend to ask why this naming ceremony is more lavish
and  elaborate than the naming ceremony of Mariam, his first child. Of
course, the  only sensible conclusion is that he values a boy child more than he
values a  girl child. This is indeed a big challenge to the gender activists to
find out  from him why he chose to so blatantly manifest his gender bias in
favour of the  boy child.
This strange phenomenon is no doubt what prompted some of the  numerous
musicians and praise singers engaged for the occasion to call Baby  Mohamed, the
prince. He indeed has all the trappings of a crown prince, and it  is even
possible that someone may be thinking of him being groomed to eventually  take over
this country, especially when his father has already told us that he  intends
to be in office for the next 30 years.
Indeed, the cult syndrome,  being clearly manifested in this country, was
quite evident when every song  during the naming ceremony was in praise of
President Jammeh, giving the  impression that he is a more superior human being than
anyone ever born in this  country. In fact, one of the numerous civil
servants who conveyed gifts to State  House, for want of a better term to sing
praises to President Jammeh, described  Baby Mohamed as “a son of the nation”, as
if the other children of this country  are not sons of the nation.
I really wonder how people from our neighbouring  countries and the rest of
the world are viewing us. Of course some Gambians,  concerned about the
reputation of this country and its people are quite  embarrassed by the trend that is
developing in the country. It is hard to see  how we can gain the respect of
the rest of the world if we continue to behave  and treat our head of state as
a super human being, to the extent that our  government would declare the
birthday of his son a public holiday.
Despite  all those negative implications that go with this unusual ceremony,
we still saw  Gambians, of all strata and persuasion, flock into State House
to partake in the  lavish ceremony, including our religious leaders who we
expect to speak against  such wastage. This country is definitely heading for the
rocks, unless such a  negative trend is halted.

FEATURE
Interview With Halifa Sallah
Part  18

Foroyaa: How do you see religion as an institution?

Halifa: In  a Secular State the rights of every citizen must be respected.
The right to a  belief is just one of those rights. Section 25 of the
Constitution, which all  political representatives take oath or make affirmation to
uphold, states, among  other things, that,
“Every person shall have the right to freedom of thought,  conscience and
belief, which shall include academic freedom; freedom to practice  any religion
and to manifest such practice.”
I am fully committed to such  principles. In fact, if PDOIS were to be
associated with the operation of any  state there would be an interfaith committee
which should meet regularly to  resolve disputes between faiths and negotiate
what they need from the state to  get protection.

Foroyaa: Do you have any personal views on  religion. Some people claim it is
the opium of the masses, what do you say to  this?
Halifa: I went through three experiences which shaped my attitude  towards
religion. The first experience is the respect and protection I received  from my
parents for having been named after a person they deemed to be holy and
revered. I experienced very little corporal punishment. My parents helped me to
develop self respect at a very early age. I had to excel in the memorisation of
 the qur’an to the point of teaching other children without knowing the
translation. The son of the person I was named after called Shiekh Tijan  Sey
developed close interest in me when I was young and  I started to  be inspired by
his  oratory skills.
My second experience came during  high school when I took bible Knowledge as
a subject. It was my best subject.  The story of Naaman and the parable of the
Good Samaritan were very instructive  to me. I remember wining the best prize
for memorisation of bible verses  at  Rabun Gap, a boarding school in the USA
and the organiser of the  competition was surprised that a person who was not
a Christian could recite so  many bible verses.
The third experience arose when I came across the  philosophical thought
that, “the unexamined life is not worth living.” These  words became deeply
embedded in my mind. I was just 18 years. I started to guide  my everyday life
according to such precepts. For example, I was never tempted to  drink alcohol or
smoke cigarette because of the questions I examined in my mind  regarding the
worth of alcohol and cigarettes to the body. Considering the lack  of
nutritional value of the fumes from cigarette and how intoxicants stifle
consciousness, I concluded that they were not worth taking.
I must say that  this philosophy helped me to take full control of my actions
and emotions.
This philosophy strengthened me to be able to withstand the temptations
which go along with innocence and fantasies. It enabled me to have full self
control, self direction and self determination. Furthermore, I also had
opportunity to open my philosophical horizon when I came across a story of the  life of
Socrates. My body became cold when I learnt how he was sentenced to  death
and given the poison to drink for allegedly misleading the youth of his  days
against the norms of those who controlled power. However, I was more
overwhelmed by his defiance of death by refusing to ask for mercy. Instead he  decided
to indict and convict his own judges in the court of his own  conscience.  His
last words became an epic in my memory. It reads:
“  There are many other means in every danger for escaping death if a man can
bring  himself to do or say any thing or everything; . No gentlemen, the
difficult  thing is not to escape death, I think but to escape wickedness and that
is much  more difficult., for that runs faster than death, and now I being
slow and old  have been caught by the slower one; but my accusers being clever
and quick have  been caught by the swifter badness; and now I and they depart;
I condemned by  you to death but they condemned by truth to depravity and
injustice. I abide by  my penalty and they by theirs”
Hence it became clear to me that there are  many good human beings who lived
on this earth working day and night to make it  a better place to live in.
Such people, irrespective of faith, turn their back  at wealth and privilege and
even give their precious life for their  missions.
Since I read about the life of Socrates, I also made a decision  that I will
never hesitate to face judges to defend my mission in life before  any court
of law. I became resolved that life can only be meaningful and  exciting if one
has something to live and die for.
Hence, I see religion from  two angles. There are those who utilise it to
motivate the poor to accept their  poverty as predestined and there are others
who rely on it to be their brothers’  and sisters’ keepers. I have learnt human
values from so many diverse sources  that I can safely assert that many
religions and humanist philosophies are the  depositories of moral values which
could guide the just conscience of human  beings who wish to leave the world in a
better state than they found it. The  opportunist, however, will always hide
behind these institutions to promote  their personal interest.

Foroyaa: Can we move to the foreign policy of  PDOIS.

TO BE CONTINUED

FOCUS ON POLITICS
WITH  SENEGALESE BORDER CLOSURE; ARREST OF BODY GUARD; ECONOMY; ETC
FOROYAA CALLS  FOR PRESIDENT JAWARA’S RETIREMENT

With Suwaibou Touray

After the  withdrawal of Senegalese troops in 1989, Sud Hebdo, a Senegalese
Daily  newspaper, on 17th August 1989, reported the closure of the Senegal/
Gambia  border. According to the Daily, fraud which was the order of business,
occasions  an annual loss of 20 million CFA Francs for Senegal.
It was also reported  that Senegal adopted a policy to restrict the amount of
Senegalese currency a  person traveling to the Gambia could carry to
20,000CFAfrancs equivalent to 500  dalasi at a time.
Foroyaa argued that the re-export Trade constituted a drain  on the
Senegalese economy by Gambian businesspersons. The paper agreed that it  was true that
businessmen in the Gambia rely very heavily on the e-export trade  to Senegal,
Mali, Guinea Bissau, etc to get foreign exchange, but argued that  this
constituted a drain on the Senegalese economy.
CAPTAIN NJIE ARRESTED IN  LONDON
By August 1989, embarrassing unofficial news stormed the country that  the
body guard of president Jawara was arrested in London by the British police.
Initially, no one knew the reason for his arrest. But by September 4th, Foroyaa
came up with information that Captain Njie, a body guard of president Jawara,
 appeared in court but was not given bail, but when he appeared in court
again on  September 11, he was released on bail.
Apparently, the president left captain  Njie behind and came back to the
Gambia. During Njie’s detention, the state did  not make any comments on the
matter.
However, by 25th September 1989, it was  again reported by Foroyaa that
captain Njie appeared in court accompanied by the  two personnel of the Gambia High
Commission in the UK. It was also said that Mr.  Njie appeared a bit nervous.
FOROYAA commented that it is certainly not a  nice feeling to accompany a
president and see oneself before a court.
It has  now become clearer that captain Njie’s case could not be resolved
through  diplomacy, after Foroyaa’s publication of the interview with the deputy
British  High Commissioner, whose reaction was that the matter was sub judice
and that it  was completely out of their hands as it was up to the courts to
decide.
Mr.  Mackenzie, the deputy High Commissioner, was informed by Foroyaa of the
Gambia  Government’s position that since the bodyguards of members of the
Royal Family  were allowed to retain their weapons when they visited the Gambia
and even  provide additional security to them, they too expected a reciprocal
treatment  from the British government.
As the court proceeded, prosecutor McKinney  reiterated demands for
prosecution under section 4, subsection 2 of the Aviation  security Act of 1982 U. K, wh
ich reads, “It shall be an offence for any person  without having authority
or reasonable excuse to have with him any firearm or  any article having the
appearance of being a firearm whether capable of being  discharged or not.
Captain Njie’s counsel then applied for bail extension and  argued that given the
circumstances that Mr. Njie was performing the role of a  body guard of a
president, which was confirmed by the presence of the embassy  staff, bail should
be granted.
Justice Manfield, who presided over the case,  decided to grant Mr. Njie bail
on certain conditions, ie. 1} A bail bond of 1500  pounds sterling, 2}
Captain Njie would submit his passport to the police, 3}  Report to the police daily
between 8am to 9am, 4} Stay in the UK before his next  appearance in court
and  5} That he would not apply for another  passport.
The case was then transferred to ChiChester crown court at a later  date.
According to the Gambia times, Captain Njie said he forgot to hand  over the
weapon but at another point, it stated that Captain Njie was  inexperienced,
and therefore failed to give the weapon to the crew because of  inexperience or
forgetfulness.
Foroyaa cautioned the Gambia Times of the  danger of defense by press because
as they said they may not know what Captain  Njie wrote in his statement.
They added that since Gambia Times did not also  know the line of defense of Njie’
s counsel, it was more appropriate for them not  to engage in defense by the
press.
The Gambia Times later confirmed Foroyaa’s  findings that captain Njie was
not the first body guard to have such a problem.  The Foroyaa called on the
president to explain why Njie has been given a  different treatment, and for him
to consider retirement from politics by 1992.  Would he heed the call?
With the border problem and the defunct SeneGambia  confederation coupled
with other economic problems , Sir Dawda decided to go on  what was then called
the “Meet the Farmers’ Tour” on 25th September, 1989, with  a view to finding
out the problems of the farmers and further give solutions,  where possible.
Foroyaa sent reporters to cover the meetings. Over 40  vehicles accompanied
the president on his tour to the provinces. This left many  ministries at a
standstill. Foroyaa also observed that immediately before the  president’s
departure, many roads were smoothened or graded to fill the  potholes. Some say the
various Area Councils were doing that so that the  president would not have
the feeling that they were not doing their work. Others  said it was meant to
deceive the president to believe that the roads were not  that bad, others
maintained that those who were doing that did so to receive  kick backs from such
small contracts,  whilst others simply said they were  doing that to make the
king comfortable and which they deemed to be  normal.

WHAT DID THE FARMERS SAY?
The self appointed  spokespersons of the farmers, who were all ruling party
members, such as  chairmen and women of the ruling party and the chiefs, are
warned to shorten  their speeches because the president had many places to go
to. Despite their  careful selection of speakers, these people were themselves
farmers and  therefore were also confronted with the same difficult realities
and had to  expose their plight.
Farmers generally complained about the uncertainty of  the price of
groundnuts because of the lack of declaration of the producer  price, the late arrival
of fertilizer, the poor road conditions, the lack of  drinking facilities for
cattle, the lack of secondary schools and high schools  and congested markets
despite the fact that the market traders do pay duties  regularly and so on.

THE RESPONSE OF THE PRESIDENT AND  ENTOURAGE
According to the reports, with respect to the price of groundnuts,  the
president left most of the talking to be done by the marketing manager of  GPMB.
The president simply announced that as from henceforth his government  would no
longer take part in declaring the producer price of groundnut as  before; that
it was now left to the GPMB to establish depots and prices; that  whoever
could take five tonnes to GPMB would receive his money. He also  maintained that
this new policy was a requirement of the Economic Recovery  Programme [ERP].
The Foroyaa wrote that there was no further explanation as  to why that was
the case..

WHAT DID HIS ENTOURAGE SAY?
The entourage  which was led by the former minister of Agriculture, Mr. Omar
Jallow, did most  of the talking. They do not usually deal with any particular
issues. They, most  of the time, tried to mystify and glorify the president.
Mr. Jallow as quoted  by Foroyaa said that the president had emissaries but
preferred to meet the  farmers himself to hear their problems; that during the
days of the kings, they  used to survive on the sweat of the masses, but as he
said now it is the masses  who survive on the sweat of the king, which
Foroyaa thought was referring to  president Jawara as the king. He was also quoted
as saying that this was why  people who got hungry and thirsty, or ill and
those whose children had schools  and whose wives had possibility to go to clinics
do turn to the president for  help and so on.

FOROYAA’s COMMENT
Foroyaa’s comment was that the  president did not speak to the farmers as a
national leader but took the posture  of a P.P.P Secretary General; that his
ministers sang praises to him to the  point of presenting him as a king; that
people gave him cattle, sheep, goats,  bananas etc as gifts. The number was
quite large as Foroyaa tried to quantify  the number of cattle and sheep he had
received.
Foroyaa also observed that  instead of opening up the meetings for citizens
to ask questions, the whole  arrangement was transformed into P.P.P rallies
where chairmen and women took  center stage.
Reports from other papers such as the Nation also showed how  dissatisfied
and disappointed farmers were of the tour, after the president’s  departure.
Many saw the tour as “Meet the P.P.P Chairmen and Chairwomen’s Tour”.  This was
what gave birth to the idea to launch what PDOIS called “Enlighten the  Farmer’
s Tour”, so that what was unclear to the farmers would be made clear to  them.
See next edition of Focus as we edge closer to end of 1989  events.

2007: A Flashback

By Bubacarr K.  Sowe

Continuation
Belinda Bidwell, former Speaker of the National  Assembly passed away on
Saturday, April 28, at her residence in Fajara. Family  sources said she died of a
heart failure.
As workers around the world marked  Workers’ Day, the Gambia National Trade
Union Congress (GNTUC), recommended to  the Department of State for Trade,
Industry and Employment a general salary  increment of 300% across the board to
all categories of workers for it to be at  par with the consumer price index.
In commemorating World Press Freedom Day,  May 3, the Committee to Protect
Journalists (CPJ) released a report on the ten  countries notorious for
backsliding press freedom for the past five years.  Ethiopia, The Gambia and the
Democratic Republic of Congo were among the nations  topping the list.
In a landmark development, eighteen circumcisers dropped  their knives and
made their practice of the controversial Female Genital  Mutilation (FGM)
history on May 5, at a ceremony held at the Independence  Stadium.
Pandemonium ensued in London Corner on May 9, when a twenty year old  Sheriff
Minteh died after a brawl involving him and the security  agents.
Maimuna Taal, ex-directress general of the Gambia Civil Aviation  Authority
was acquitted on May 9, by the High Court after the court concluded  that she
had no case to answer.
The same day, Charles Mendy, a police officer  and Ebrima Summa and Yusupha
Camara, both Guineans were jailed for fifteen years  after pleading guilty of
conspiracy to steal D58,550 dalasis.
A group of five  Senegalese customs officials who were sentenced to a jail
term of eighteen  months on May 16, for possession and importation of fire arms
were pardoned on  May 17.
In an interview with Foroyaa on May 22, the then Judicial Secretary,  Nguie
Mboob-Janneh said that the new Judicial Complaints Board would be an
independent body. The presence of Aflotoxin in  Gambian groundnuts has  resulted in its
rejection at the World Market, said Lamin Dampha, Principal  economist at the
Department of State for Trade, Industry and Employment. Mr.  Dampha was
presenting a paper on May 24, at the Boabab Holiday Resort on the  Economic
Partnership Agreements being negotiated by the European Union (EU) and  the African,
Caribbean and Pacific States (ACP)
As competition widens in the  telecommunications industry, The Gambia
witnessed the inauguration of a third  mobile phone service provider, Comium Gambia,
on May 26. Almost one hundred and  thirty three immigrants were returned home
from Spain, Foroyaa reported on June  4-5.
On June 5, Lamin Fatty, a reporter with the Closed Independent  Newspaper was
sentenced to a fine of D50,000 dalasis or in default to serve one  year in
prison.
Pa Sallah Jeng, ex-Mayor of Banjul was freed on two charges  out of the six
charges he faced at the High Court, Foroyaa reported on June  8-10.
The National Women Councillor for the APRC Party in Basse, Aja Kumba  Korah
and nine others were jailed for fourteen days for perjury.
Fifteen  Ministers of Interior from the Inter-Governmental Action Group
Against Money  Laundering and Terrorist Financing in West Africa (GIABA) on June 13
met at the  Kairaba Beach Hotel for their fifth adhoc ministerial committee
meeting.
On  June 18-19 Foroyaa reported the funeral of the Senegalese film producer
and the  pioneer of African Cinema, Ousmane Sembene who died at the age of 84.
Members of  The Gambia Dock Workers Union vowed to go on strike if The Gambia
Ports  Authority did not cancel threats of terminating the Union’s jobs,
Foroyaa  reported on June 22 -24.
That David Colley, former Director General of The  Gambia Prisons Department
appeared in court on charges of stealing, Foroyaa  wrote on its edition of
June 29-July 1.
According to the July 2-3 issue of  Foroyaa, Egypt has imposed a complete ban
on female circumcision, following the  death of a young girl while undergoing
the operation.
Magistrate Buba Jawo,  according to Foroyaa on July 4-5 ruled that he did not
have jurisdiction to try  a US based Gambian journalist Fatou Jaw Manneh who
is accused of sedition.
July 7 marked a full year since the Daily Observer reporter, Chief Ebrima
Manneh
disappeared.
John Charles Njie a pastor working for the Abiding  Word Ministry was jailed
for three years with hard labour for forgery, Foroyaa  reported on its edition
of July 6-8.
The Gambia witnessed its first ever  international literary festival on July
13-15, organized by SABLE literary  magazine.
On June 15, the Community Court of Justice of the Economic  Community of West
African States (ECOWAS) commenced hearing a suit seeking the  release of
Chief Ebrima Manneh.
According to the July 20-22 edition of  Foroyaa a house breaking suspect,
Musa Bah, died in Police custody in Basse.
President Jammeh on July 22 celebrated the thirteenth anniversary of the
coup d-etat which brought him to power.
Habib Drammeh, ex-director general  of The Gambia Tourism Authority on July
24, appeared at the High Court on eleven  charges.
Foroyaa reported on its July 27-29 edition that a newly born female  baby was
buried alive by her mother at Brikama Gidda.
The General Manager of  the new Gambia Vegetable Oil Company in an interview
published on the August 6-7  edition of Foroyaa said they will soon start palm
oil refinery in the country.
Tamsir Jasseh, Alieu Jobe and Omar Faal Keita, were on August 9, jailed for
twenty years for treason. Demba Dem was acquitted.
Musa Saidykhan, the  exiled editor of The Independent newspaper received the
CNN Multi-Choice 2007  award with other seventeen journalists across Africa,
Foroyaa published on its  edition of August 13-14.
On August 16, the Permanent Secretary at the  Department of State for Basic
and Secondary Education, Baboucarr Boye was quoted  by Foroyaa as saying that
Gambia will need 6000 teachers by the end of the  2004-2015 education policy.
Summers out-break of African swine fever led to  the death of hundreds of
pigs in the Western Region and the Kanifing  Municipality.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
“Too Late! He Lost  Her”
Part 1

With Amie Sillah
Badou Travels To The U.S
Badou  travelled to the USA. He promised to be always in touch with Isha. “As
soon as I  settle down you’ll come to join me in Wisconsin.” That was Badara’
s promise to  Isha. She kept to her side of the bargain.

Isha Is Depressed
Badara  went and remained incommunicado. Isha became worried. She visited his
friends  and relatives to no avail. They were also lost. Badou did not write
to anyone.  Isha became worried and depressed. “Is he alright mom? I am scared.
” “Don’t be!  Just keep on praying. He will write Inshallah!” Aunty Marie
encouraged her  niece.

Isha Visits Rugiatou
Isha was very depressed. She decided to  visit Rugiatou for girl’s chatter.
She met Ismaila at home. Isha became uneasy.  She tried to dodge Is but he
persisted and protested against Isha’s dodgism and  snobbism.

Rugi Protests
Rugi called Is aside and protested. “Leave  Isha alone! Let her be. She is
engaged to Badara who will send for her soon.  Hands off womanizer! Don’t mess
up with my girl friend. I’ll not take it lightly  with you.” “What is your
own? I love her. Where is Badara? Gossip said he remain  incommunicado. What is
he doing in the US to abandon his fiancé and family? I  love Isha and no one
not even you can make me keep off!” Is became adamant. Rugi  advised her friend.
“Don’t mind my brother. He is a womanizer. Wait for you  Badara, your fiancé”
. Rugi advised. “I don’t know! Badou remains incommunicado.  I don’t know oh!
” “I don’t approve any relationship whatsoever with my dandy  brother. He is
an infatuator. Don’t mind his sweet words”. Rugi posited.

Lunch Date
Ismaila invited both girls for a lunch date. During the  conversation Is
asked Isha about her career. “I want to study medicine at the  State University”.
“Oh! A doctor! That’s fine we need a lot of doctors in this  country”. Rugi’
s jealous and protested”. “You are never interested in my career.  You
forgive my manners”. Rugi got up and left in a rage. Both Isha and Ismaila  were
disappointed with Rugi’s attitude. “My sister is jealous. She hates to see  us
together. She is my junior but yet she pretends to be a senior sister who is
destined to control and guide my life”. “I see!” Isha said through  laughter.
Isha Passes With Flying Colours
Isha passed to enter the state  university. She became highly elated. She is
a dedicated student. Isha visited  Rugi and told her the good news. She passed
with distinction.

Rugi Also  Pass
Rugi also passed, second Division. The friends rejoiced for each other.  Isha
asked after Ismail. “Why did you ask after Ismail? Are you hiding anything
from me girlfriend?” Rugi was curious. She suspected her friend and brother as
lovers. She was determined to break any bond between them. Isha was very
surprised at Rugi’s insinuation.

Isha Wins A Government  Scholarship
Isha won a government scholarship as a top female science student  with
distinction. Aunty Marie praised Allah for his blessings.

Badou  Sends A Letter
Finally Badou wrote a letter. He apologized to Isha and  explained about his
circumstances in the United States. “The U.S is not a land  of milk and honey
as portrayed in our developing countries. It is a man-eat-man  society.
Everyone to drag on one’s boots trap. Life is not rosy at all. I was  trying to make
ends meet. I was not yet settled. I have not started my studies.  I was
depressed and put off. Now, I have a job. I’ll start studies in the New  Year. I’
ll still pursue my law post graduate course. I want to specialize in
criminology before I’ll be put on scholarship. I‘ll help you in your schooling.  I’ll
send money through Western Union. I love you”. Badou wrote to  Isha.

Isha Replies Back
Isha replied to her love. “Its so long but I  still love you. I am a bit
disappointed though but I am now relieved. I can  understand.  Send money whenever
you can. It is not urgent now. I am on  scholarship. Thank you and good bye.
Cheers Isha”. Isha was deep in the clouds.  True love never dies. Badara is
her first love.

Ismail Congratulates  Isha
Ismail congratulated Isha. He gave her a cash sum of D20, 000 (Twenty
thousand dalasi) Isha took it.

Uncle Pa Protests
Uncle Pa, Aunty  Marie’s husband protested. He asked Isha to return the
money. “You don’t love  him return back his money. You are engaged to Badara to be
married. He had  promised to send you money through Western Union. Don’t
encourage Ismail. You  cannot marry him.” Uncle warned his family. He scolded
Aunty Marie. “You have  lost focus. Why should you encourage your niece to be
greedy? Have you forgotten  your backyard? A word is enough for the wise.”

Aunty Marie Is  Confused
Aunty Maries is confused. She has seen nothing wrong eating your  luck before
marriage.

Isha Complaints
Isha complained to her aunt.  “D20,000! I’ll not return it so! I need it
like yesterday. I did not beg him. He  gave it to me. I’ll never beg him but
whatever he gives me out of his own  volition I’ll take it. It is my luck. I’ll
not put all my eggs in one basket. I  am not sure of Badara again. Look at his
long incommunicado. I assure you aunty  Ismail will not see my pants. That
place is far oh unless you are rape, it takes  your consent. “Isha argued. “I
should not have told him that Ismail gave you  money. I agree with you. Its your
spinsterhood luck. All of us have benefited  from it. Don’t mind your uncle.
He has rigid principles like a fundamentalist”.  Aunty argued.

Nomination In Western Region
By Modou  Jonga

Candidates contesting the forthcoming Local Government Elections,  under the
tickets of various political parties and Independents, were duly  nominated at
the IEC Regional Office in Brikama, on the 3rd, 4 and 5 January,  2008. The
nominations were presided over by Mr. Pa Makan Khan, the Regional  Electoral
Officer.
On Thursday 3 January, twenty four APRC sponsored  candidates were nominated.
The APRC nominated candidates are in the persons of  Alh. Bolong L.K Jatta,
Busumbala ward in Kombo North; Hamadi Sowe, Mayork ward  in Foni Bondali; Ms.
Kaddy Camara, Ban Tanjang ward in Foni Bondali; Mr. Jammeh  K. Sanneh, Suba
Ward in Kombo Central; Momodou M. Bah for Sintet ward, Mr.  Sunkary Badjie for
Somita ward, Janko Ebrima Bojang for Gunjur ward in Kombo  South, Fabakary B.
Manneh for Lamin Ward, Sarja S. Gibba  for Sanyang Ward  in  Kombo South, Tumani
Sambou for Wassadu ward in Foni Jarrol, Lamin Haja  Bojang for Nyambai ward
in  Kombo Central, Alieu M.A Jarju for Marakissa  ward, Ms. Mariama Bah Saine
for Banjulinding Ward in  Kombo North,  Momodou Ceesay for Kembujeh ward in
Kmobo Central, Fatou Mam Nyassi for Bwiam  ward in Foni Kansala, Mr. Lamin Tamba
Jammeh for  Kartong ward, Ebra Faal  for  Sukuta ward, Omar Sowe for Pirang
Ward in Kombo East, Ebrima Kujabi  for Joboro ward, Alh Sutay Jarju for Sibanor
ward in Foni Bintang, Bakary S.  Sanneh for  Kusamai ward, Alagie K. Kujabi
for  Kafuta ward, Tombong  Jatta for Bullock ward in  Foni Brefet and Kebba
Bojang for Kanilai ward in  Foni Kansala.
Three independent candidates were nominated on Friday, 4  January. The
independent candidates are in the persons of Mr. Ismaila Badjie for  Bullock ward,
Foni Brefet, Mr. Yunus Gibba Kusamai ward in Foni Bintang and Mr.  Lamin Jarju
Marakissa ward for Kombo Central.
On Saturday 5 January, 2008,  three candidates were nominated, one on an NRP
ticket, two under UDP ticket. The  two UDP candidates are in the persons of
Mr. Alieu Darboe for Kumbujeh ward and  Mr. Foday Gassama for Nyambai ward, all
in the Kombo Central District. The NRP  nominated candidates was Awa Bah for
Sanyang ward in the Kombo South  District.
Some of the APRC candidates in the Fonis went unopposed .The APRC  candidates
in Kombo North and Kombo East are also unopposed.

Drivers At  Barra Car Park Complain

By Fabakary B. Ceesay

The Kerewan Area  Council has appointed one Makang Sissoho, a Malian to
oversee the toilet at the  Barra Car Park Toilet. He is to collect one dalasi from
anybody who wants to use  the toilet.
According to Makang Sissoho, he was appointed by the Kerewan Area  Council to
collect monies from people who want to use the toilet to ease  themselves. He
said he is paid by the council at the end of every month from the  monies he
collects from the people.
Mr. Sissoho indicated that he sometimes  collects hundred dalasis a day, but
that this figure sometimes drops up toD65.  He pointed out that the toilet is
of great significance to people, because a lot  of travelers transit through
the area. He indicated that the toilet is drain two  to three times a month.
Some people have deplored the idea of paying before  using the toilet. The
garage drivers complained that they do pay taxes to the  council on every trip
they embark on. Drivers plying between Central Baddibou  and Barra said they
often pay D45 to Council for every trip. According to them,  drivers plying the
Farafenni - Barra route pay D75 and that those going beyond  pay D100 dalasis.
They complained that they don’t know how the monies they are  paying to the
council are benefiting them.
Traders and shopkeepers also  added their voice, noting that they pay tax
every day to the council. They said  the council should have used the tax money
to drain the toilet as that is part  of their responsibilities.
Efforts to talk to the interim chairman of the  council bore naught. This
reporter went to the council at Kerewan, but the  chairman was not available.