GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saikou Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 18:15:37 +0100
Hamjatta,

Very interesting reading.
Interesting enough is that some of your conclusions are points that for many
years back I have been struggling through and ended today with the very
opposite of these conclusions.The Women liberation movement has a history
and its development from one stage to another varies very much from one
place to another and according to the dominating class interest that is
involved and the social conditions and that present moment.In most
places,even in the Gambia,it is not the most oppressive women who were very
vocal in the Liberation movement or the pioneers,in contrary it was and
still,the middle class women who for long have been the dominant force in
the movement.
The Second world war was the first moment that sent the European women folk
in their millions into the factories,thus transforming their class character
from mere house wives to that of working women in the factories.This move
alone would have a great impact on the consciousness of any living human
being and render biology irrelevant as far the struggle against the factory
clock is concern until it comes to the payslip.This new condition of the
women folk in Europe and other parts of the world laid the grounds for a new
form of struggle for the liberation of the women as an integral part of the
general struggle against political and economic oppression.What became of
the greatest achievement of the Women Liberation struggle in the years that
followed,was their understanding that to believed that we have to wait until
the whole society is freed from political and economic oppression,from male
domination,before the conditions of women could be seriously and properly
address has now been proven to be a big lie,they would not wait til then but
right here and from today.This move gave the new Women Liberation Movement a
new dimension .The fact is that it is only through such struggle a genuine
contribution could be made in uprooting this decadent society.They need more
day-care centers for their children,they need equal pay for the job they are
doing,they need maternal leaves with salary,even in some countries,they have
come so far that you have a right to leave your work go home and breast feed
your child and come back to work.Breaking down the barrier of biology is no
magical thing,is as simple as this and thank to the women Liberation
Movements in proving that the biology issue is as false as it could be, such
demands are no longer a dream but a right.To understand the bitterness of
those opposed to this,not even excluding men of working class,since this
means job competition,the question of who will pick up the child from the
day-care,who will be making the supper after work and then at production
level,the profit etc etc.Refusing to address such issues will only boil down
to the question of biology and in our own part to culture.
I am not misunderstanding your point that marking a Woman a Director does
not actually eradicate the oppression of Women.If one understand and accept
the fact that we lived in a class divided society one would not have any
problem of understanding this point.Thatcher was no Woman Liberationist,she
belongs to a class and as a prime minister served to the best of her ability
the interest of that class and not necessary the Women folk,because the
liberation of the Women folk is against the interest of her class,it was at
the same time a fact that the liberation of South Africa was against the
interest of the British upper Class.Do you think Thatcher would have been a
primeminister under the Conservative party had she believed that South
Africa should be free or that women should be liberated,she does not
believed in such things.Equally it would be very impossible for Go Harlem
Bruthland to become the Leader of the Social Democrats and Primeminister for
two times in Norway had she had the same views as Thatcher on the question
of Women Liberation,even though she could be controversial.Most of what
Thatcher is  remembered of today in Britain is either against the interest
of the British working class or Women.
Then why must we be concern in giving Women special opportunities?In the
first place,it is a challenge to the biological barrier lies.A scheme put
forward to continue to hold women in the bed room.We know that it is not
enough that Women have the same qualification as men before they are
considered a position.Saying that 1/3 of candidates of every political party
should consist of women, will force political parties,mainly dominated by
men, from not only grooming their Women members to become good  dancers and
"Yay combine" but to start seeing them as serious and potential members.Male
chauvinism is an integral part of our being,it is not enough with only
reasoning to take it out of us,the practical side of it is very important.In
some countries having a Woman party leader ,or a Director or a
parliamentarian is no news.But in our little Gambia it will be a great news
and in Great Britain a Woman Party Leader will equally be a great news.
   The history of the Women Liberation movement in the Gambia is very
short,as an organised form of organisation mainly for the advancement of
Women interest.In going back a little,they made their presents felt during
the struggle for independence and after ,as part of a Political party.Though
Women "Kofos" existed up to the village level without any political linkage
to a party.Even though we cannot rule these Women village "Kafos" as an
integral part in the development of the Women Movement in the country,their
agenda was not in direct confrontation with the establish Male dominated
society.The present form of the WLM in the Gambia varies very much,so is
also their agendas,it also reflects the class interest involved.Even though
they have so far achieved so much.I would tell you that,my self and friends
have had bitter experience with the Women Bureau through a Women
organisation project we were involved in the country-side.Even though ,these
women with their class background and interest,have been the only establish
organisation who dare to take up a sensitive issue as FGM,not you,not me and
not the most intelligent among us men.They forced us to look at the
situation,its implications etc and what some of  us did reply them is that
the freedom they have in their heads is imported,they are not capable of
thinking so much and so far.They are calling for free education for
Women,why not,since we men have been in control of the house hold have for
decades been given priorities to boys to go to school and the consequences
of which today is the fact that many of us can migrate to better jobs in the
towns and left the Women folk in the Village.If we are concern with the
situation of  our Women in the Country side then let us give their daughter
the equal opportunity to education and not  give the father the choice of
wondering who to send to school the boy or the girl in these difficult
economic times.
Every generation must be able to address her own situation and advance her
own interest.If our women did learn that given special opportunities to
women will in the long run pay,they are not saying this out of vacuum,they
must have seen and learn from somewhere and to leave in this world with all
the tec.infor available to argue that this is not possible,in my opinion is
to advance a hidden agenda.
Yes,I believed that the only way to go forward,to build a society of equal
opportunity,to break the backbone of Women oppression,under the
circumstances we are today,is to give women special opportunity.I for
sometime back in my political development believed that only through a
liberated society that Women could fight and win,I know today this is a
lie,I had listen to arguments that given women special opportunity in
society is to underrate their intelligence and or open up opportunities for
other women who are equally oppressive.I have argued above that Thatcher was
an oppressive woman,but her being a Prime minister was not as a consequences
of her being a Woman but of what class interest she represented.Such
argument are becoming very common,even from women who have a class interest
in taking such a stance and even in countries where WLM did make  great
achievements.
It is true we must guide against or be aware of the fact that the AFPRC
might be using women as window dressing.We know decisions vital to the
survival of our country are taking long before they are in  parliament,let
alone before before they reach the desk of the SOS.How many times the WLM
had to go to war with the president,did he not even tell them that he cannot
guarantee their security.You cannot even say such things to a migrant in
your country let a lone a whole organisation of reason and force.Long Live
the WLM.

For Freedom
Saiks