GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Annika Renberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:29:29 +0200
Friends,
about a week ago I sent this appeal to Point and Independent, but it seems that they have chosen not to publish it. However I want to share it, so here it comes:
Annika
APPEAL

ON THE "DUMO & OTHERS" TREASON CASE

To The Secretary of State for Justice

Attorney General Joseph Joof

Dear Sir,

Allow me to congratulate you to your recent appointment. The post of Attorney General is indeed a very crucial position that is of the greatest importance for any country. I understand that – especially during the last year – the integrity and trustworthiness of the judiciary in The Gambia has suffered from setbacks. The Gambia has faced a number of cases where the state, deliberately as it seems, has neglected and ignored the basic fundament of the society – The Constitution - so the appointment of a new Attorney General, gave me a beam of hope.

I would now like to appeal to you in your professional capacity to look into the treason charges against my husband, Modou (Dumo) Sarho, and his co-accused.

He was arrested on the 24th of June last year and already on July 18th the judge, Mam Yassin Sey, established that the arrest and detention of Mr Sarho was unlawful. After that he was held completely un-communicado until the 16th of November which was the first occasion that I was allowed to see him. Throughout that time, all my attempts to establish his condition were fruitless and met with lies and denials from the relevant authorities of The Gambia.

I only hope that you will be in a position to pay a greater respect to the constitution than your predecessor seems to have done.

On December 19th 2000, a trial was started where my husband and his co-accused were charged with treason on four accounts.

On the very same day, one of the accused was released against bail, and has since then appeared in court but is free to take care of his life and family meanwhile. The rest of the accused are still held under very harsh conditions in Mile II prisons while the trial, in spite of several sittings in the High Court, has not proceeded beyond the procedure issues.

Sir, please see to it that this process is brought to an end. Too much time has already been wasted and many students and friends of Boka Loho are anxiously waiting for their founder to be free.

With best regards,

Annika Renberg

Co-founder of Boka Loho; wife of Dumo Sarho