GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 15:25:01 EDT
We are glad to learn that some lawyers have the integrity to stand up and
reject their appointments as prosecutors in the Ebrima Barry case. The
attorney general is trying to use the private bar to clean up his
government's mess. Don't get me wrong. We support the appointment of an
independent private prosecutor. But if that prosecutor is going to be a
Gambian national, he/she has to ensure that he/she gets total cooperation
from the authorities. He/she should not be intimidated in any form
(including threatening his family and friends). If this cooperation is
lacking (and it would almost certainly be lacking), then the prosecutor
would be fighting with his/her hands tied behind his/her back. The
prosecutor will not be able to get to the bottom of the matter and at the
same time Yaya and his cohorts will have bragging rights in the justice
arena. We urge each and every lawyer to assess the ethical concerns raised
by Mary and Amie and also consider whether they can trust Pap Cheyassin
Secka to cooperate with them and ensure that justice is done. The Lawyers
should get rid of Joseph Joof as their president and come together with
names of Human Rights lawyers from abroad who are willing to come to Gambia
and prosecute this case. They should ensure that the lawyer they choose, has
integrity and is committed to justice. They should assure such a person of
their total cooperation and work with that lawyer behind the scenes. This
will take care of NIA visits to friends and families of any Gambian lawyer
brave enough to embark on this noble course the right way. Remember that the
whole world is watching. So any lawyer who cannot do the job thoroughly,
should have the decency to come out and say so. If you know that you can be
manipulated or intimidated by Yaya and his cohorts, then this is not a job
you should accept. No prosecutor should lose this case or the case against
the perpetrators of the April 10 & 11 massacres. Even Christopher Darden
will have a field day with this one. The attorney general knows that his
office has to lose these cases or Yaya will get them. On the other hand, if
they lose the case in order to please Yaya, the Gambian population will get
them. So they are between a rock and a hard place. To wriggle out of the
situation, they want to appoint a lawyer to be the sacrificial lamb. We urge
the lawyers to also pass the buck. By appointing an independent prosecutor
(say from the U.S.), that will take care of the predicament one faces when
one wins the case.