GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:41:40 PST
Ous,

It is very true, Hamjatta is entitle to his opinion but i must say that there
is nothing like personal polical life, if one choose to be a public figure one
has to take what comes with it. Also, Firstlady, second lady what ever they
call it, is a political issues not a private one.

It is unfornately that it has gone this way for the Independent, i don't think
they should be blame for printing what is said to be a romour,this is not the
first time that such arrest have been made,with the state house falling wall
in mind. Since in a country where the press is suppressed and information is
scared , such method of breaking news might always be the case. I remember the
last time when i got the news in Zimbabwe that the President has married a
second wife, there were so many arguments on the issue, some people denied
that the presedent never got married to a second lady ,so why i will not be
surpirsed if this comes out to be the truth.

Is it a front page issues? Is it about how much one sell? I believe we have to
go beyond these boundaries because the taste for information and the struggle
to find out the truth as said is  the most difficult thing journalists are
facing . What lessons do we learn from this case ?These are symptoms of a
suppressed free press and information.

Is is not funny that that Jammeh is taking a libel suit.

For a free press.

The Struggle Continues!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hamjatta,
You made a very good point. However, it is arguable and unacceptable to some.
differentiating a public figure and his private life in the public is not
possible. Of course even if he is running a private company in the public,
there are certain things that becomes public about his privacy. I will never
accept that a presidents' private life is not for public consumption. If
anyone here is laying a foundation for future public more over political
life, they better get that point right.
Keep up the good work. One might not agree with a lot of what you write, but
you are certainly doing a good work