GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Loum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 05:42:25 -0800
Mr Jagne,

Thank you very much for your perspectives on the
military in The Gambia. I agree with you that good
governance, is the key to safeguarding stable
democratic institutions. At the same time, military
professionalism is also important. I think that a
fundamental problem for many African regimes is that
once they are in power, they become complacent. As a
result, because the only other strong institutions
around is the military, it can easily intervene.
I will keep you posted on the progress of my work.
greetings,
Momodou Lamin Loum.