GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:55:16 EDT
In the grace of God Yahya Jammeh and his gang of thugs would be out of
government in a little over a year. We as nation would get there through one
of two unsavory ways. First Yahya may reluctantly pertake in elections he
would do his darnest to undermine and render dangerously volatile by
resorting to selective murders, intimidation and spread a palpable sense  of
chaos in a bid to bludgeon the population into defeat and dejection. Even
with such a degree of evil underhandedness he would be soundly defeated
because the overwhelming majority would not vote for him even if he ran for
dogcatcher. Alternatively he may simply refuse to allow elections knowing the
predictable outcome of such a move would be a massive and sustained
resistance from the people. He would then use the ensuing defiance as a
pretext to lay siege on the country and it's people. They people would then
have to either cower down and accept indefinite subjugation or make a final
thrust to rid themselves of criminals and murderers. Yahya Jammeh would
ultimately loose that one too albeit at a tremendous cost to us a nation. Any
alternative Gambians find themselves with would be tinged with consequences
we don't favor but both causation and responsibility for whatever may ensue
as we strive to make change we are legitimately entitled to lies squarely
with Yahya Jammeh and his gang. Having watched the President's much reported
meeting of July 22 with his brigade of thugs I am almost certain that this
government has concluded plans geared towards formenting violence and
destroying the country. For over 90 minutes one haggard-looking loser after
another stood up and gratuitously engaged in a fingerwagging diatribe against
the Gambian people. With tacit encouragement, occasional interruptions and
chuckles Yahya Jammeh did his best to buttress the threats of murder and
destruction of the civil service and other insidious suggestions coming from
these socalled youth leaders. Each of them went on a harangue about how their
very existence was tied squarely on the fortunes of the Jammeh government and
realizing that it was a sinking ship they wanted their captain to intensify
his Gestapo tactics to sustain them. As a result we should not expect any let
up in the lawlessness. What they got was carte-blanche from their President
to forment violence. The Gambian people to whom their wrath would be directed
must resolve to vigorously defend themselves because any alternative they
choose men are going to die and it better not be them again. A population
that can't count on equal protection under the law have an obligation to take
every measure at their disposal to stay alive if they are to avoid being a
statistic of state sanctioned thugs.

Karamba