GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:26:53 -0400
Peter,
I am sure that understanding the reasons behind the phenomenon of marrying
one's dead brother's wife or dead wife's sister (though a much rarer case)
would go a long way to answering your question. While I am no expert on this
topic, I do believe that the practice, like other practices in the
institution of marriage is out of social necessity than religious.

From a social perspective, given life expectancy in some of our societies
was no more than mid-30s (perhaps lower among male soldiers), it would not
be far fetched to assume that the need to ensure unity of the family,
security of the kids and of course the wellbeing of the family (given many
hands means better), were all reasons to justify the practice. There were
also cases when tragic loss of young wive/mother led to the marriage of the
sister to ensure continuity of family tie and the care and love for the
kids.

Whether the practice is necessary or guarantees stability these days, I
would  wait for experience view.

Malanding Jaiteh