GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 06:27:47 PST
Bro,

Thank you fro that information,even though I might not be able to use it
because of its Arabic origin,since I am more interested in typical Gambian
names.However,the story that follows were ineresting to read.Keep up the good
work down there.
For Freedom

Saiks
Saiks,
My name is really Hamjatta. It has it's roots in Arabic; it stems from the
Hamza who was an uncle of the Prophet (pbuh). This is not stereotyping but
the Mandingo indigenous by that I mean those born and raised in a family
where the lingo and culture is Mandingo, do have a problem with pronouncing
ZA
 all they can manage is JA. Hence Hamja instead of Hamza and after decades of
bastardisation of the phonetic, it eventually became Hamjatta.
Saiks when I was younger, it was the butt of jokes in Banjul and I remember
begging my dad to change it to anything normal. He would use this as a
leverage and form of blackmail to make do things I would otherwise loathe to
do promising to change it to anything "normal" if he wants something get
done. I am made to understand there are other Hamjattas and they say loads of
'em in the provinces; I have yet to meet any one of them. I only accepted it
because a girl fell in love with me because she loves my name!!!!! Isn't that
amazing? I really love it now after all those years of shameful and cowardly
"name crisis".
It's Aloha from me Hamjatta. Hope you find the info useful.
Hamjatta

hkanteh