GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:34:42 EDT
Well people,

My computer had crashed last night, and perhaps it had sensed the state I was
in.
Yaya Jammeh and his cohorts have spilled Gambian blood before, and they have
found that they can get away with it every time, so they do it again and
again. It's a desensitization process folks, first kill one, then a few
rumoured to be in mass graves, then plot a fake coup and kill some more, and
now,  shoot to kill our children as they demonstrate against the injustice
that has become a daily staple in The Gambia.It is intended to put "the fear
of God" into the people by setting a few nasty examples, and a tool for
holding on to their positions for dear life. What some people would not do
just to have a so called position whose true role they neither understand nor
exercise as it should be exercised.
I also see that Mr Essa Bokar Sey has already started "operation disaster
relief" AKA " the endless explanations that will never add up". That job is
usually reserved for someone else well known to this list, but perhaps they
will come behind Mr Sey with another excuse designed to plug up the holes
that will be shot in his version. We see this process also all the time.
Infact, these guys have refined it into an art form.

I have already heard the disgusting  excuse of the demonstration getting out
of hand, and students destroying property etc, but I guess those who ordered
them shot in cold blood forgot that if one is perceived to be breaking the
law, then you arrest them, and let them have their day in court, not shoot to
kill.However,  with this regime, we have come to realize that anything is
possible, anyone they percieve as a threat to the continuance of their blood
thirsty quest of "staying in power no matter what" is eliminated in some
makeshift plot, even students.

The first and biggest question that kept coming back to me most of last night
was the question of who ordered  the shooting, although it stands to reason
that it probably came from the top. However, if it is true that Isatou Njie
Saidy passed on this order, then what a horror and what a shame, that an
official who tells the World that they represent our people and their
welfare, that she is an advocate for women, a woman who has mothered
children, and a human being who should exercise decency, even if it means
walking away from her job, has relayed such an atrocity on the Gambian
people.If this is true, then Mrs VP, the blood of those students are dripping
on your fingertips.I never thought I would live to see the day that such
atrocities can be directed at Gambians by Gambians.
Enough is Enough!. I wholeheartedly support the suggestion by Karamba to
collect some funds and retain council for these parents and students. Even
one murdered student could not get justice, and these people will most likely
be bulldozed and their case put into the archives to join others who will
never see justice under this regime. If this is not a wake up call to all of
us, then I do not know what else is.

Jabou Joh