GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 00:15:26 +0100
Sigga,

You've got me drooling here by the spice in your piece below. For much too long so-called religious leaders, especially in our society have elected to circumvent "political" issues. The line though, between what is political and what is religious can sometimes be very blurred indeed. Suffice it to say that all major religions some how have their roots in some form of rebellion against oppression and injustice.

Religious leaders who elect to look the other way whiles their congregations suffer oppression and injustice at the hands of mere mortals, cannot claim to be men of God. The conscience of true men of God cannot allow them to be silent under such circumstances.

History is abound with religious leaders who, after their pleas for justice have fallen on deaf ears, have even taken up the gun to fight for the liberation of their oppressed peoples. These are times of political awakening and no stone, in all aspects of our social, political or religious lives should be left unturned. We must continue to pose very critical questions and should never be afraid to do so because such questions may be deemed too controversial by some sections of our society.

May God continue to avail you the sense and the will so that you may continue to carry out His work on earth.

Regards,

Kabir.