GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:47:01 -0400
June 17, 2001

Dear Dad:
Again, you have demonstrated the typical Saloum Saloum tendency, once
you receive the monthly stipend I will not here from you until the next
month. (Laugh). How are Mother and the entire family? As usual, we are
giving it all we have because your survival and like most Gambians in
these hard times are directly link to our hard work in this part of the
world. Thank you for your continuo prayers that are helping us a great
deal.
Dad, I have had the opportunity to meet one of the other presidential
candidate, Mr. Ousainou Darboe. He is on a campaign swing in our neck of
the wood, and was here last Friday in Atlanta. Like I indicated to you
when I met the other Presidential aspirants and representative of the
APRC, PDOIS and NRP; it is absolutely important to coordinate as a
family in sharing views in determining who is the best person to lead
our country in these difficult times. It has become a political reality,
and all the political parties have realized that Gambians living in the
Diaspora are an important component in finding solutions to our
Socio-Economic and political challenges. The economic reality is, monies
living the Diaspora in a weekly, monthly basis is a major component to
the aggregate economy of the country. Therefore, it is a reality that
Gambians in the Diaspora are very much linked and are deeply concern to
the future of our Gambia.  To most of you at home, you are at a
disadvantage, and your participation or support of a political candidate
can cause you a job. The government of the day tends to have a monopoly
on the message that is put out, the unfortunate phenomenon of strong arm
tactics, exploitation of the vulnerability of the poor, and the usual
power of incumbency can pose a threat to the fairness of the political
process. On the other hand, with us living in the Diaspora in a
democratic environment can only be influenced by the proposed message
and policies of the candidate without all the above problems you guys
have to deal with.
For election 2001, it is vital as a family unit to coordinate your view
on the political reality on the ground, with our perspective and
together we can find the best leader that can confront the challenges of
the twenty-first century. Dad, I have had the opportunity to meet Mr.
Ousainou Darboe, the UDP leader in Atlanta. You are well aware that I am
a PDOIS supporter, but it is also important to listen to all candidates,
and carefully and truthfully find the best person for the job.
Mr. Ousainou Darboe, a small person in stature and frame, accompany by
Femi Peters and Ebou Manneh. I do not know any of these gentlemen, and
in fact, I cannot recall ever meeting them. After listening to them for
over four hours, I have a new perspective to the UDP party and to Mr.
Darboe in particular. He is not a very exciting candidate, nor
charismatic, to be blunt, he is very dull. Maybe, we are so use to
politicians in the side of the world that are so well packaged and that
inherently affect our views on our politicians. Mr.Darboe, using one of
the political lexicons of the last election, does not have gravitaz.
However, he came across very knowledgeable with the facts, truthful,
honest, decent and the one thing that make him an attractive candidate,
his commitment to justice. From his answers and his entire speech, only
one thing and that is justice drive him. He got into politics in the
Gambia to restore justice and the rule of law, and this was one line
that he kept hammering.
Another element that came across is that, during his speech he was
clearly the non-political candidate as I indicated above.  As he sat
down and started answering question in a discussion format, it only
daunts on me that election 2001 should not only be about competing of
ideas, but also about competence.  Dad, it is fundamental that the next
President of the Gambia is someone who is committed to the rule of law,
and justice for its entire citizen. The discussion was open and all kind
of questions was asked, one notably came from me. I asked Mr. Darboe,
that there are allegations that UDP is nothing more that a front for the
PPP, and evidently the party that attracts disgruntled PPP supporters.
The man was not defensive, and as he responded, he said, “Mr.Jeng, to
people that know me well, I am a man of principles and my integrity is
very important to me, and I will never be a front for anybody.” He
continued to explain that in their leadership hierarchy, you do not find
Ex-PPP leaders in contrast say to the APRC party. He concluded by saying
that UDP is open to all Gambians, and if PPP supporters support our
party, they are welcome. After his response, I was convinced that the
issue of being a front should be put to rest, and that , using his own
words, I am into to this to restore justice and peace for all Gambians,
and somehow I believe him.
Dad, ultimately, you and the entire family will make a decision on who
is the best person for the job. It is a tremendous responsibility and a
big burden that should not be taken lightly. You will not be only
committing a crime for selling your vote, but mortgaging your sole at
the expense of all Gambians, not to mention committing sin to God
Almighty. I will never be able to give you everything you want, but I
will always share with you with what I have. That decision of casting a
vote is your personal property and should never be for sale. Make every
effort to know all the candidates and their policies for the Gambia, and
I will do my best to coordinate with you, and together we will approach
2001 elections responsibly. We owed it to our children and to the next
generation to plant the foundation for a democratic Gambia. As I
indicated to you before, I am a PDOIS supporter, but Dad a vote for Mr.
Ousainou Darboe will be a vote for and independent judiciary, justice
for our entire citizen and peace.
Extend regards to mom and all the kids, and let us keep in touch.

Yours truly

Musa Jeng