GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:58:29 EST
Mr Dibba,
               thank you for your comments regarding the debate swirling
around S.M .Dibba. My exasperation with Mr Dibba has everthing to do with his
action or lack thereof since 1994. Up until then, I agree with you that he
was a very credible politician who fought hard for his agenda in a political
environment that was not conducive to vibrant democracy. I also agree that he
and his supporters were illegally and unjustly treated in the aftermath of
the hysteria that followed the 1981 attempted coup. I do not share your
characterization of the Senegalese intervention but since we are focusing on
Mr Dibba at the moment, I would gladly set that aside for another day. If I
read you correctly, you seem to be both saying that it is premature to state
that Mr Dibba is infact going to join the APRC, and even if he did it would
be at his terms because he is a principled guy who would insist on his ways.
Let's just say for the sake of argument that you are correct that Mr Dibba
can infact positively impact a vicious and creul regime drenched in the blood
of scores of innocent Gambians , please tell us how you believe he will do
that. His record of absolute silence since 1994 and subsequent spurious
justification when people he had responsibility to speak for were murdered
and hauled off to gulags tells me that Mr Dibba will most likely be a
collaborator in this criminal enterprise masquerading as a government. Bulli,
decent and honorable people simply do not associate with the government of
Yahya Jammeh. The guy and his lieutenants are evil requiring the concerted
effort of all of us especially S.M.Dibba , a founding father of modern Gambia
to get rid of this albatross. Mr Dibba can sit with Ousainou Darboe, Halifah
Sallah , Hamat Bah   and do business because none of these gentlemen believes
or will use murder, terror and corruption as an instrument of governance. It
would be an unqualified tragedy and travesty if Mr Dibba sunsets his
political career being coopted and cuddling an unrepentant tyrant. He cannot
vindicate this unholy marriage by simply labeling it a move in the nation's
interest because he knows perfectly well that justice, competence and simple
decency has long been casualties of this criminal government.
       On a personal note, I would like to suggest as a friend that we see
our acute national problem for what it is today. We can spend most of our
energy discussing the PPP regime and it's many shortfalls over the generation
Sir Dawda and his people were in charge. It sure will make for an interesting
academic exercise discussing a period we hope remains in the past and vilify
folks who may have wronged us. What we must not do is to get consumed by past
wrongs to such an extent that we become mired in rancor and endless wrangling
over how bad things were in the past. We now face a very pressing existential
question for which we must all resolve to rise above our inhibitions and
forge ahead. The way to do that is to remain true to the ideals of what is
best for our people. It would seem to me you will personally oppose S.M.Dibba
touching Yahya with a ten foot pole much less consider joining him if you had
anything to do with it. It would be indeed sad if you let  injustices of our
recent history cloud your judgment about a leader you clearly venerate.
S.M.Dibba has been wrong since 1994 and I hope you can do your best to
dissuade him from further plunging into the sewer.
Karamba