GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 22:28:12 EDT
FYI

 As Salaamu 'alaikum wa arhamtullahi

 Recently there was a discuission with follow ups on Islamic investement;
 they are valuable proposals, which I would like to share with you -
 May our efforts be a useful source of information for our Umma- may Allah
give us
 barakah in the efforts....

 Acknowledgement for the redistribution:

 Jaffer Manek
 Euro Asia Pacific Professionals International Ltd
 www.euroaspa.com/euroaspa/
 Jaffer Manek- EuroAsPa Int'l <[log in to unmask]>

 The mail is actually in response to an interesting discussion about the
 stockmarket, in the frame of which, brother J. Manek brought forward his
 comments/thoughts and proposals..

 It seems a consensus has been reached that the system of stockmarkets is
 not
 as benign and benevolent a vehicle of investment for small-savers as it is
 made out to be.

 Secondly, it is undeniable that criticism per se is lame without an offer
 of
 possible solutions and alternatives. Thirdly, it appears we uphold the
 maxim
 that it is incumbent for every individual to improve his/her own position,
 at all times, but in a positive way not only for himself/herself but also
 for the community he/she lives in and the wider global community. I feel
 this sentiment is not exclusive to Muslims but to people of other faiths
 also.

 So now we should move on to address the central question " ... where small
 investors could place their money in their absence." I am going to attempt
 suggestion subject to adjustment, further consideration and further
 fine-tuning.

 I have already put forward a provisional list of possible avenues of
 investment for small savers. As a reminder, it is:
 -----------------------
 1 - pay-off all credit cards, personal loans, hire-purchase loans, mortgage

 on housing.
 2 - invest in boosting the education both temporal and spiritual of your
 own
 children
 3 - pay-off debts of own business if applicable
 4 - invest in own business expansion with paying for product innovation &
 development, marketing, customer care, distribution/transport, staff
 amenities, etc
 5 - invest in personal development of self e.g. elocution to remove accent
 in speaking, improve writing ability, improve personal appearance
 6 - buy real estate to derive rental income, if necessary organise a team
 where several people take an equal share and make clear provision to pay

 the
 one who puts in the effort, management etc in the democratic
 decision-making
 at the same  time agree in writing a clear exit route at the outset for
 anyone who needs to withdraw.
 7 - inject funds to be a minority equity holder in a local small business
 without dominating or threatening the entrepreneur. Agree in writing at the

 outset a clear exit route for any investor in the team who needs to leave.
 8 - invest in the environment and social amenities e.g. schools, hospitals,

 water-wells, parks, gardens, plant trees, have the rubbish and weeds
 cleared, deal with stray animals, hobbies for youngsters, etc as a healthy
 and happy neighbourhood will rub-off on the small investor in the locality.

 I feel the pension, well before 65 years' age, can be the combination of
 the
 value of your residence, the sale of your business or dividends from your
 ownership in your business, a stream of rental income and the pleasure of
 living in a friendly neighbourhood full of amenities. Depending on the
 stockmarket to produce monthly payments from the age of 65 cannot be such
 an
 attractive or reliable proposition.
 -----------------------------
 Someone queried whether the order in which the list above should operate. I

 suggest it is up to the individual to invest in the way most beneficial to
 them in their particular circumstances. There could be a mixture of the
 items in the list. Regarding the query about charity (zakat, khums, etc) it

 is assumed that the surplus is after all charitable dues. Regarding the
 query about investing in real-estate, it is possible for fifty or hundred
 or
 five hundred small investors to come together to buy outright real estate
 for cash and participate proportionately in the rental income after costs
 and overheads.

 The small investor has got into the habit of assuming he/she must generate
 % interest income or dividends on their small pot of money savings. This is

 a passive position. I suggest if the amount of savings is small (I do not
 offer a definition of "small"), the small investor should instead be
 proactive and take the initiative to bunch up with other like-minded small
 investors and in that way the overall amount would be significant.

 That therefore means operating something akin to a bank or a co-operative
 for holding a collection of small deposits. The exit route from the
 grouping
 for the small investor must be very clear and in writing from the outset to

 provide maximum facility to exit  whenever the need or desire to do so
 arises for fairness (emergency, alternative investment opportunity, travel,

 interruption of steady earnings, etc. ).

 Secondly, the small investor must desist from the conditioning/greed in
 demanding the "market" level of return on their small savings.

 Such a grouping can then invest in ethical projects such as business
 ventures, infra-structure, community projects, parks and amenities, etc.
 Some noble examples in developing countries are before us:

 - A bank from Bangladesh offers unsecured small loans (up to £500 sterling)

 to women only for them to derive a living from arts, crafts, own
 manufacture, small retail, etc. It has been successful in Bangladesh and
 has
 just opened a branch in East London where the Bangladesh community is
 settled.

 - A Turkish company in Turkey that is owned with one share each for its
 small investors. It is very successful in its backing of ethical commercial

 ventures although it is facing trying times from the vested interests who
 are trying to find fault with it to close it down.

 If such successes can take place in developing countries beset with all
 kinds of impediments and loaded systems, why not replicate them in the
 western democratic countries where there is great freedom to create and
 operate such organisation?

 So, whilst a small individual by himself/herself cannot be a significant
 investor, a group of like-minded and harmonious small investors can be a
 formidable force. However, a sincere and competent leadership is a
 pre-requisite to keep the group together. Now, the crux of the matter is
 how
 many of such sincere and capable leaders exist? And, how many of such
 sincere and capable leaders take the trouble to put themselves forward to
 organise such groupings?

 I feel that is where this matter is stuck and we need to wait for a
 wonderful "can-opener" to set free this "ginny" to try to achieve the
 potential that we aspire to, an aim that is possible and that is in
 everyone's hands. Perhaps there is insufficient personal development,
 perhaps there is insufficient "Takwa" (= nobility of purpose?)

 Jaffer Manek, London, UK

 Discussion was lead in the froum of the:

 Islamic Banking and Finance Net Listserver

 FINANCE-NET URL: http://www.muslimsonline.com/finance
 http://islamic-finance.net/forum.html

 Wa 'alaikum as Salaam