GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
latjor ndow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:41:14 GMT
Greetings,
This may have already been  mentioned but to agree with Yus, let me say that
Kofi Annan WAS the head of the UN Peacekeeping Mission during the Rwanda
genocide. He knew months ahead of the intentions of those mass murderers and
his office took no action to prevent the attrocities. Incredibily there was
a UN peacekeeping force in Rwanda at the time and the British commander did
alert Annan's office as to what was about to unfold.
I think Annan and co. felt that the West, esp. the U.S. who would have to
cough up the funds and other logistics did not have the appetite to be
involved in African affairs (actually they never have) especially after the
Somali debacle.
Still he especially, should have been more vocal rather than falling in line
with his patrons! He is the African! In Africa's moment of need, Kofi was
silent! Nearly one million murdered as a result.
In retrospect, it is we the peoples of Africa that should be more proactive
in solving our problems. Too often though, our parochial views prevent us
from seeing the big picture.

latjor