GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:01:07 EST
In a message dated 3/20/2001 10:36:34 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Fortunately Citizen FM and Radio 1 FM are informing the Gambian what
> political parties
> are saying in the Gambia. Gambians abroad should contact their relatives or
> friends to find out what is being said by the different parties on all
> fundamental issues.

Greetings
Halifa

Mr Sallah & all Political parties in The Gambia,

For us as Gambian citizens abroad, but who are nevertheless interested in the
welfare of our country, as well as having the right to be part of the
decision process in the selection of our leadership, we hope that the
different political parties do consider our imput and opinion important
enough, and our recruitment as voters a necessary part of the election
process, such that they will take the time to try to get their messages
regarding the fundamental issues to us, rather than us having to ask our
relatives to relay these messages.

Are we really  that dispensable, and is our plight to cast absentee votes
that unimportant that we have to forage for the political parties' stand on
the issues? Are our political parties that incapable of utilizing the medium
of modern technology to let us know what their stand on the issues are, or is
it that our opinion does not matter enough to them? We certainly hope this is
not the case especially because we as a nation are still hoping and praying
for an atmosphere where one man one vote to culminate in a majority of votes
is the process whereby our leadership is selected, and a party's stand on the
issues is what motivates the people to vote for them.

As such, we think it is in the best interest of all political parties to
educate us on what they stand for, and what they plan to do if given the
mandate to govern us. Again, that is unless these parties are quite certain
that we are a group that they do not have to worry about ever, and that when
they tell us they care about Gambians, and that our constitution is supposed
to protect all of us, this does not include those Gambians abroad.

 We have a right to know what the different political parties agenda is first
hand,so that we and the rest of Gambians can decide who to vote for ( if we
outsiders ever get to the point of finally convincing whoever is responsible
to enable us  to exercise our constitutional right to cast our votes that is)

I for one do not have enough information to affiliate myself with any
political party, and after careful observation and  for the sake of
simplicity in my life, I don't think that i will ever join any even after I
gain enough information, but I do know what my concerns regarding the issues
of the day are as  a Gambian, and having first hand knowledge of where the
different parties stand will enable all Gambians who care to vote to make the
right choice.

Jabou Joh