GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:49:01 PDT
  I did mention in my first posting on this issue that the desire for a United
States of Africa is just too wonderful but that in my opinion this is not the
priority of the African continent.I believed that it is not true that we will
be able to solve our problems by just uniting,our problems are too complex for
such a simplicity.The unification of the African People will be born out of
the struggle of the African people against economic poverty,political
oppression and social injustice.To say that Africa should unite because
Nkurumah said so is tackling the problem from a wrong angle.We have less
complexes problems at the time that Nkurumah was calling for an African
Unity.Even then Nkurumah recognized the fact that , among other things,
Neo-colonialism exist that must be conquered before we can have a liberated
Africa.
I believed that our task now should be the consolidation of our national
struggle for a better political,economic and social conditions.It is true that
this could not be done in total isolation but through the better coordination
of all our efforts at all level,through this why we will be able to solve the
many problems that seems to be an obstacle to the unification of the
continent.This is to say no matter which country we come from and no matter
were we are we should support the struggle of our brothers and sisters for a
democratic society,like  in Sudan against the racism of the Kathoum
government,etc.WE should support all democratic struggles in the continent and
do all that we can in supporting these struggles.That is to say again ,that
the struggle of the democratic forces in Chana,Liberia etc  is not only the
struggle of the citizens of these countries but also that of ours.
To say that Europe is uniting so we should unite is not enough.We must define
our own unity and I dont even think that we are going for  the type of unity
that we are seeing in Europe.It is not the people of Europe that are
uniting,that is why the increasing racism(not only towards African,but towards
Europeans themselves)and regionalism.What is happening in Europe is that
simple fact that it is the multinational who are directing the way forward for
Europe.That is to say this is a Unity for European capital in her search for
surplus value.Now European capital is more mobile than it has ever been.It can
move from one country to another with no restriction.For example,if Swedish
Volvo finds out that the production cost is cheaper in London for their
company they will move to London without even thinking of the consequences it
might course to the Swedish workers and families and the Swedish government
will not be able to stop them.People from Poland will be able to move to
Danmark to look for a job.This means that there could be lot of job seekers in
Danmark and this will in turn make production cost less in Danmark,because
labour will be in abundance,this will not be in the interest of the Danish
people but the owners of the Capital invested.The European union is a picture
of the economic crisis that is taking place in Europe.
To say that it does not matter who is in power in the different African
countries does seems to neglect the many problems that the continent is
witnessing.The disaster in Rwanda and Seirre Lone would have been solved
before reaching the level of disaster we have witness in these countries.This
is why it matters much who the Gambian People voted for as their
representative to take sit at office of the United State of Africa.Some one
with a narrow nationalist mind or one who is more interested in representing
the interest of capital will not make any difference in lives of the African
people.I here again insist that a United State of Africa needs sincere and
dedicated African leaders who have the interest of their continent at heart.
It is very true that European capital will not want to see a genuine United
State of Africa,but it will not be any treat to Europe to face a united State
of Africa of today,in my opinion this will even help European capital to
better organized the permanent exploitation of the Continent.They will have a
better organized people to do that jobb who are not even Europeans but
Africans.
A united States of Africa must be in the interest of the African people and
not of African capital which belongs to few African and non Africans.
We must not give up the liberation struggle it must continue !!!

For Freedom

Saiks

I am no pan-Africanist to understand some of the issues at hand but
what<br>would a United State of Africa achieve for her people that Gambia or
partitioning of Africa in 1880s really created a much<br>divided Africa than
it used to be?<br><br>Thirdly is Africa's problem really because we do not
have one humongous<br>country called the United States of Africa with its
capital in the<br>rainforests of Central African Republic (the geographic
center) or the<br>amalgamation of tens and sometimes hundreds of nations into
<[log in to unmask]><br>To: <[log in to unmask]><br>Sent: Monday,
Fellow Africans,<br>> The wind for change for good is blowing before our eyes.
 This is another<br>> call for our unity in Africa.  I do sincerely believe
that our continent<br>can<br>> unite more than any other unity in the world.
There are obstacles of<br>course,<br>> but the will of the people cannot be
stopped by any means.  When Africans<br>> were determined to be free from
colonial rule, things changed like rapid<br>> fire.  They claimed they gave us
the chance to rule ourselves.  I tell<br>you,<br>> they were driven against
their will and are still terribly scared of our<br>> comming together.  We are
the only continent and people who refuse to give<br>up<br>> to their supremacy
despite all their technology and wealth.  Regardless of<br>> all their
weapons, we still defy them more than ever.<br>>     The African unity is no
doubt far from being easy to achieve.  We have<br>to<br>> act now and whatever
we left to be accomplish, the next generation will<br>> follow our steps.  My
personal appeal to everyone of us either in Afirca<br>or<br>> anywhere, should
have the same common goal of uniting our belove<br>motherland.<br>> Africa is
full of resources and potentials to be united.  We must stand<br>tall<br>> and
shout loud to overcome all the obstacles on our way.  We have suffered<br>>
enought, loss enought  and cried enought.  It was America, now is Africa.<br>>
Don't believe anybody who has a contrary view to this powerful force.
The<br>> western media will start their own campaign very soon, and that will
not<br>stop<br>> us from going.  We must be prepared to suffer to achieve this
Long live Mother Africa, Long live our people,and the fight for unity<br>>
interface at: