GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:03:48 +0100
Hi Mr. Samateh,
It is a constitutional requirement that candidates declare their assets and it will be interesting what he declares next time. The following article from the Gambia-l archives is an article by the Independent September 21st issue 2004 about the declaration of assets by presidential candidates.

------------ From The Independent ----------------

Presidential Hopefuls Declare Assets, Jammeh Tops the List

The Independent (Banjul)

September 21, 2001
Posted to the web September 21, 2001

PK Jarju
Banjul, the Gambia

Tuesday witnessed a thickening of the political dust as five presidential hopefuls visited the Independent Electoral Commission's headquarters as the official nominees of their respective parties for the October presidential election. Among the requirements is the declaration of their personal assets prior to October 18. This transparency is for the electorates to know intimately facts about their prospective leaders.

President Jammeh, the incumbent, has a personal asset over and above all the other nominees, while Sidia Jatta of PDOIS, who is the only nominee to disclose his bank deposit, can only boast of few properties and a library of books.

The Independent publishes below the full list of properties owned or
co-owned by the five aspirants. Yahya Jammeh-APRC (Incumbent) Farms

One farm at Dobong village Foni Kansala District Western Division One bird sanctuary (not yet developed) at Santangba village Foni Kansala District.

Vehicles

(4) personal vehicles (1) Mini truck (1) Pajero (1) 4x4 Mercedes Station Wagon (1) 4x4 Jeep

Jointly owned assets:

The Kanilai Worni family farms with the following components

a) Livestock

(Cattle) - 200 heads of cattle (Sheep) - 55 (Goats) - 75 (Horses) - 9
(Camels) - 9 Donkeys - 4 Ostriches - 9

b) Vegetable garden for women of the surrounding villages, a rice field, a cornfield, fruit trees and a game reserve. The products of the farms are used in funding the Jammeh Foundation for Peace. On this farm in Kanilai are four Agriculture Teachers and two power tillers.

Sheriff Dibba-National Convention Party

a) Property at No. 47 Antouman Faal Street Banjul

b) Plot of land situated in Salikeni North Bank Division bought from the United African Company (UAC) with a building.

c) Mercedes Benz 200 car registration No. BJL 0061

Hamat Bah-National Reconciliation Party

a) One developed plot at Sinchu Alagi Kombo North
b) Two undeveloped plots at Sinchu Alagi and Kaur respectively
c) One Mitsubishi Pajero registration No. KM 7746 A
d) One Mitsubishi van L 300 registration No. CRD 0228A
e) One Land Cruiser registration No. KM 2499 B

Sidia Jatta PDOIS

a) Five heads of cattle
b) Two single arm chairs
c) One table
d) One chair
e) One refrigerator
f) Two radio sets (one portable)
g) A library comprising of over two thousand volumes.
h) Paid D937.60 for landed property at Nema-su (which he is yet to take possession of)?
i) A total bank deposit of D15000.

Ousainou Darboe Opposition Coalition

Landed property

a) Leasehold property at 57 Kairaba Avenue KSMD
b) Partially developed property at Kembujeh held under customary tenure
c) Undeveloped property
situated at Serekundanding
d) Farm situated at Brufut
e) Property situated at Tanji held under customary tenure

Vehicles

(1) KIA five-seater van (1) Nissan terrano (1) Pajero (1) Mitsubishi Gallant (of-road)"

-------------------End of Independent article ---------------