GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:10:33 +0200
The folowing is from the Server Administrator from St. Johns.

SJU reliability is still far from assured.  This is from the latest update
at http://www.appliedtheory.com

                 -----------------------------------

Here is the status that we can report as of Wednesday at 6pm
Eastern Time:

Two of AppliedTheory's routers at the Verizon West Street central
office are operational, however the area remains unstable both
structurally and environmentally. Verizon will attempt an
overnight inspection to establish whether the area will stabilize.
Additionally, it is anticipated that the power situation at West
Street is not entirely stable and interruptions are likely.

Progress continues to be made for rerouting options for
customers connected to the Long Island and White Plains central
offices. Already identified alternate routers extending from White
Plains through Long Island and West Street to Poughkeepsie
remain stable. The route does continue to be fragile however due
to high temperatures within parts of the West Street central office
which remains without climate control functionality. In addition,
significant congestion on this route is creating challenges. These
issues are being addressed and should be resolved shortly.

All available resources remain committed to a full restoration of
service at the earliest possible moment. We appreciate and are
thankful for your ongoing patience during this difficult time.

                 --------------------

My take on the above is that we are using an overloaded, overheated
router in a building that's full of dust, thought to be vulnerable
to partial collapse and is still being supplied with emergency
power.

Yesterdays output was typical of the day after an outage, 25% higher
than one would expect on an average Wednesday.  The backlog was
cleared by 01:40, system response should be pretty good although the
surrounding network seems very congested this morning.  Yesterday I
was seeing near instantaneous response to commands sent DIRECTLY to
@MAELSTROM, and waiting several (like 6 in one case) hours for
acknowlegment to make it back via the SJU mail system.  Again,
[log in to unmask] uses a totally different mail system
than [log in to unmask]

As an aside I'm at home today and won't be checking my office phone.

                                                 -Kary