GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 12:03:56 -0400
Hamjatta, another brilliant masterpiece. I had wanted to talk about the
boycott issue again, but was a bit reluctant to do so. I said here on
several occasions that electioneering is not my forte. But did not go
through the trouble of explaining to our most recent subscribers or to those
of us with short memories, why I do not like talking about elections.
Therefore, I am indebted to you for giving the background you gave about the
various 'camps' on this List. I am particularly grateful for the way you
highlighted Saul Khan's role. It is important for some to understand the
relationship me, you and Saul share. The battles we fought together in the
past and continue to fight to this day both on G_L and elsewhere. There are
other people firmly in that 'camp' too but there is no need to get into that
here.

Let me reassure you again that I still believe in using ALL MEANS NECESSARY
to get rid of Yaya. This belief is what lead us (me, you, Saul and others in
our camp) to butt in where elections proponents leave a vacuum (in our
humble opinion). We want to use ALL the weapons in our arsenal. As I said on
numerous occasions, I wished the only postings I react to were postings from
Ebou Colly and postings dealing with the massacre of our children. Period.
Posting talking about 'radical' ways of getting rid of tyranny in our
society. But with all due respect to our brothers and sisters on the other
'camp', they tend to be willing to take a lot of hits from Yaya and his
cronies without a fight. This is not a knock. Maybe I am just more quick
tempered. I tend to overreact to criticism from the APRC camp directed
towards the Opposition. Another thing is that I just cannot stand injustice.
When injustice is meted at Darboe (for instance), I would rather defend him
if I can than tell him to defend himself or ask someone else to defend him.
After the fight is over, we would all wish that it would have been better
for Darboe to defend himself or have UDP stalwarts defend him. The same
thing goes for the whole Opposition. I would rather elections proponents
talk about elections. Having said that, even if I promise not to talk about
certain issues, I just cannot keep quite in the face of certain injustices.

In that vein Hamjatta, I wished the elections proponents did not have to
receive this wise counsel from you. I wished they had this end game at the
forefront of their minds at this stage. Together with the illustrations you
gave in Yugoslavia and Ivory Coast, I will also add two more somewhat
analogous examples: Peru and Senegal. Both Fujimori and Abdou Diouf did not
retire because of old age and they were fed up with their jobs. They saw the
futility in clinging to power when their people were telling them that they
were no longer tolerable leaders. You were spot on when you stated that the
situation has to be 'ripe' before the elections weapon can be effectively
utilized. You touched on certain things that can and cannot energize the
people to stop Yaya from stealing the elections. There are other strategies
that are best discussed in private with the Opposition as soon as a
coalition is formed to contest the October elections. Hamjatta, I will go on
record and say that IF the Opposition Parties play their cards right, I have
NO DOUBT in my mind that Yaya will be gotten rid of in October. There is a
road map out there that can lead us to sure victory in October. The jury is
out on our leaders on the ground. Would they engage the Diaspora
effectively? Would they recognize the flaws of 1996/97 and avoid them this
time around?

I will touch on some of the issues you highlighted about this boycott
debate. I will first deal with the IEC 'problem'. Another reason that is not
a winner (for even PDOIS) is that, if we want to use that issue effectively,
we have to articulate a coherent argument with an end result that is popular
with the Gambian masses and can energize Gambians. What is the end result
here? For a court to declare Johnson's sacking unconstitutional and
reinstate Johnson? You see the problem in stacking out this position? Most
people care less whether Johnson is reinstated. He is also an APRC crony. I
counsel PDOIS and others to scrutinize properly why Johnson was sacked. This
was about Pap Cheyassin Secka's bruised ego. Johnson was not sacked because
of his radical views and his desire to do his job properly against the
wishes of the APRC. Yaya is a moron and does not understand what went on
between Johnson, Pap Cheyassin Secka, Parliament and the courts. PDOIS, UDP
and NRP should be smart enough to decipher that. From day one we have been
warning the Opposition to stay away from this political dynamite. DO NOT
FIGHT FOR JOHNSON. He is not on our side. I can hear people arguing that we
are not fighting for Johnson. We are fighting for the principle that Yaya
should not be allowed to act unconstitutionally. Granted. But should we
allow that principle to work for the benefit of our enemies and to the
detriment of the ordinary Gambian citizen?

Let us explore this further. Let us assume for a  moment that the courts
drag their feet and fail to rule on the Johnson case. A split Opposition
boycotts the election. Remember we still do not have a coalition. Where does
that leave the ordinary Gambian that is saddled with another five years of
Yaya's legitimized rule? How can PDOIS face its supporters and tell them
that they were fighting for a principle the net result of which benefits
APRC and their crony (Johnson)? In order for this issue to be a winner,
PDOIS has to give us tangible benefits this fight will bring to the people.
Is the same man (Johnson) that derailed the Local Government elections going
to do a good job in October? Is the same man that promulgated the
undemocratic rules in Sami going to ensure that the police stop the APRC
lawlessness during the presidential campaign, without curtailing the
Opposition's freedom of speech?

What guarantees do we even have that Johnson wants the job back? The man did
not even have the courage to protest his unlawful sacking. When he was first
approached for comment, he said that he would not talk because we were in a
religious/festive season. Since then, I have not heard a single comment from
the man that was critical of Yaya and the way Yaya unlawfully sacked him. Is
he fighting side by side with the Opposition on this case? If the courts
reinstate him, are there guarantees that Yaya and Joseph Joof cannot force
Johnson to tender his resignation and therefore render his unconstitutional
sacking moot? See the problems inherent in fighting for this man? We cannot
trust him. We can win him his case and he tenders his resignation or we can
win him his case and he goes in there and be even worse than Roberts. They
are all APRC cronies.

Now, if what the Opposition has a problem with, is the whole composition of
the IEC, that is another issue. But that issue is not on the table. We are
not suggesting that someone other than Johnson and Roberts be appointed as
head of the IEC. We are also not fighting particular rulings made by
Roberts. UDP fought Roberts on the issue of the site for the counting of
ballots in Kiang and Baddibu and Roberts retreated. It is issues like that
that could have been coupled with Roberts' unlawful appointment to make the
case that we will not tolerate Roberts under any circumstances. But as
things appear to me, Roberts and Johnson are made from the same cloth.
Roberts might have committed more fraud than Johnson, but basically we are
dealing with men that will not stand in Yaya's way if Yaya insists on
stealing the elections. We need a man in the caliber of Guie (election
commissioner) in Ivory Coast who would not declare false results even at
gun-point from Robert Guie (the Dictator). Johnson is not Guie. We have to
be smart about the principles we fight for. We have to look at the
opportunity cost to ordinary Gambians.

Hamjatta, as you mentioned, there is a way out of this cul-de-sac. The
Opposition should sit with the judge in this case, Joseph Joof, Johnson and
Roberts. Ask Johnson whether he really wants the job. I am almost certain he
will pass. Ask Joseph Joof to tell Yaya to revoke Johnson's dismissal letter
and Roberts appointment letter. Then ask Johnson to resign and backdate his
resignation letter. Ask Yaya to reappoint Roberts making the appointment
effective from the date Johnson's resignation took effect. After the
meeting, PDOIS gets what it wants. The legal niceties are taken care of.
Yaya also gets what he wants. He replaces one crony with another one. The
real fight then begins. Would we allow Roberts to help Yaya steal the
elections?

The scenario I stated above may appear sleek and machiavellian, but this is
exactly what is being sought from the courts. Think about it. What we are
asking the court to do, is to (1) declare that Johnson's sacking was
unconstitutional. We get this when Yaya revokes his termination letter sent
to Johnson. (2) we want Roberts removed. Yaya can simply revoke his letter
to Roberts. (3) we want Johnson reinstated. Here we have to be very careful.
The court cannot force Johnson to perform a job he does not want. This is
why it is important to ask Johnson whether he wants the job or not. If he
wants the job, the negotiations I stated above falls apart. But as I said,
all indications are that Johnson does not want the job. Even if he does, I
think he can be easily persuaded to resign the job in order to break a
deadlock at this early stage of the elections impasse. In short, we are
achieving through negotiations what we were going to achieve through
litigation. Is this end result worth boycotting the elections?

You also raised the issue about the re-registration of voters. Dynamite
issue. Just like the vote buying. Issue the Opposition should jump on right
away and stake out strong positions. Few days ago, I counseled them to take
Roberts on. Set the parameters NOW. Set up a mechanism to 'challenge' the
registration of ineligible voters. If that falls apart, pounce on the IEC
and the APRC. Don't wait until June after the deed is done and start crying
over spilt milk. Now is the time we draw a line in the sand. We would not
have legs to stand on later if we do not make our position clear from the
onset.

We are on the same wavelength about how the election weapon should be used.
Which is why we share the view that we need to form a coalition right away
and identify our next president. After that, we will get to work privately
and publicly to ensure that come October 2001 Gambians will NOT settle for
anything less than seeing that man in the State House. To me that is the
easy part. The difficult part is getting the coalition together. Once we do
that, removing Yaya in October will be a piece of cake. Think about it. What
does Yaya have going for him? He cannot talk about his record. He cannot
talk about his vision for the future. All he can do, is steal the elections.
As you rightly pointed out, our task is to ensure that Gambians do not
tolerate that stealing. One way we do that is by talking in a unified voice
and convincing Gambians that there is no way Yaya can win a free and fair
elections. We cannot do that if we have in our midst Opposition members that
rationalize the nonsense and mayhem Yaya is engaged in. For instance, we
will point to vote buying and they will point to APRC 'projects' or UDP
'weaknesses' to explain an election debacle. Let us not deal with the man.
Our leaders should never be seen talking to the vermin or shaking his hand.
Set the bar very high for Yaya. That way, people will not be impressed with
their token 'projects' or their selective application of the laws of the
land.

Hamjatta, I thank you again for sending this piece at this time. I hope the
Opposition learn from this and benefit from it in October. I hope people
read between the lines of some of the things we have said here. This is not
the forum to discuss certain elections strategies. In conclusion I would
just say that as far as the boycott is concerned, it is a timing issue for
me at this stage. Should we be talking about a boycott at this stage or
should we be busy setting the stage for a bigger showdown? Are the issues
ripe yet? Should we allow Johnson to deny us the opportunity of using the
elections (to the maximum) and any other means necessary in October to get
rid of Yaya?
KB