GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 22:25:13 EST
Saiks:

1) Yes, democracy, much like Marxism, is an ideal that cannot be practiced in
it's theoretical pure form.  This, however, does not mean that fair elections
that reflect the popular opinion of the people cannot be held. The concept of
democracy is not restricted to fair elections alone.

2) The landscape of American political decisions is not decided solely by big
business but also by the people.  I stated that it was one of the basic
tenets of the democratic ideal by the following statement:

<<A fair, open system that respects the rights of human beings and
allows them to collectively influence the political system>>

 There are many ways in which people can be influential in political
decisions.  Individuals vote for issues at many levels and, therefore, they
do influence policy and social advancement.  Furthermore, I stated that this
can also be done through mass mobilizations.  In fact, I gave you three
implicit examples where mass mobilizations have influenced policy.

3) My point about the president not being the end-all decision maker was
stated to show that big businesses do not easily sway the president's
decisions because of their financial contributions.  There are indeed checks
and balances that ensure that big business does not overwhelming influence
decisions. The senate and congress are some of these checks and balances.
Furthermore, a senator that casts votes based on  who contributed the most
money towards their campaigns will be held accountable for their actions come
election time.  After all every lawmaker's voting record is accessible to the
public.

4) By the following statement it is clear that you tried to make an
association between big business campaign contributions and favors granted by
the government:

<<.Simple,if Yusufa Samba invest in the election campaign of the AFPRC,as he
is known to be doing,he doesthis not out of a love relationship with the
AFPRC,but he expect in turn to be granted State contracts.>>

Big businesses do invest in campaigns mainly out of self interest but this
does not mean that they are granted overwhelming favors as in the case of
this fictional Yusufa Samba.

5) On equality, it might be stated on paper.  But, at least this way, there
are laws in writing, that make the discrimination of an individual based on
creed, color etc. illegal.  The Amadou Jallow and Rodney King issues were all
breakdowns in the judicial system.  I don't think America is the only country
where civil right's violations occur.

As I have stated before, if you cannot prove that America does not come close
to fulfilling the democratic ideals, there is no point in making rash
condemnations.