GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 15:02:27 -0000
Ebou Colly, your account of the November 11 coupe makes very sorry reading.
While I was busy debating Hamjatta, I failed to read your part 3 earlier on.
While reading it I could not help crying. That we have Gambians in our midst
capable of such heinous deeds is beyond me. For the past day and a half, I
could not believe what I read. I printed parts 1-3 and when my wife read it
she could could stop crying.

It may surprise many that very few people know about what you've narated. I
was introduced to the late Lt. Basirou Barrow a few weeks before he was
implicated in the Nov. 11 coupe attemt. The moment I spoke to him he struck
me as some one very smart. From that day, he never called me by my name. He
always called me kotto. It is very very hard to believe that former comrades
in arms, buddies who drink attaya together, can perpetrate such horrendous
acts, is really unbelievable. But again, I shouldn't be that surprised
'cause you yourself said this in part 2 of your current narative:

"They (good Officers) are generally well cultured, Properly educated and
tested to meet the set standards; they have self-esteem and definitely
understand that the country equally belong to them in the very way it
belongs to any president. None of these virtues prevailed in the Field Force
where the service men were literally social outcasts in terms of origin,
education, social status, family background and self-esteem.. So instead of
having fine warriors prepared to lay their lives for the defense of their
nation, we ended up grooming angry jealous armed men full of hate and
destructive tendencies ready to follow any deviant or criminal into a path
of national destruction". It is very sad but I don't think the situation is
any different today.

Believe you me, not even some members of the families of those killed during
the November 11 incident know anything about what you've just narated.

May God, the almighty, have mercy on their souls.

Bye 4Now, KB Jobe.