GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:30:33 EST
I have been following this argument that pits Wole Soyinka against Ali
Mazrui.  But as they the old proverbial saying goes, comparing these two
gifted sons of Africa is like comparing apples and oranges.  Wole is a
brilliant writer who has won numerous accolades, including the Nobel prize
for Literature.  Ali, on the other hand, is a great social
scientist/historian who has done great work with his research about the
history of our continent and in the process increasing the awareness of
African history around the World.  His fantastic documentary series, The
Africans, is testament to this.

It is not necessary to analyze a debate between these two "intellectuals" to
be cognizant of this fact.  In the final analysis, like any two random human
beings picked  randomy from anywhere on this planet, they are bound to view
certain things differently.  Therefore, instead of putting down one at the
expense of the other, it would be more constructive to give each credit for
what  they each do best.

Yus