GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 17:07:56 -0000
please do not misinterpret my point I did not intend to launch a personal
attack on anyone and I strongly apologise,mr sanneh,mr coker etc
my criticism of afrocentrism is its lack of scholarly logic.its it based
purely on raising the self esteem of a people who live in a society that
probably regrets  bringing them there.there is racism in america and
certainly a lot of blacks have been denied a lot of things.but there is a
difference between  good and sound academic reasoning based solely on
evidence and not a few people writing books.I hope that members will share
my view  on the origins of afrocentrism.by and large it could be traced to
the early parts of the last century with the civil right movement and the
nationalism movements for independence in africa.c.a diop was a brilliant
man,but he had his faults and his work should not me taken as fact!that is
purely wrong.he was not an egyptologist nor are many of the people kindly
listed by latjor.indeed he was,as did senghor with negritude,out of
nationalism,trying to link ancient egypt more to west africa,where does that
put south africans??
I believe it was Nkrumah who called it pseudo-intellectualism by the french
educated bourgeoisie!I have and am not expressing and self hatred but
afrocentrism denies the descendants of egyptians,Phoenicians the very same
merit it accuses the west.which is my point.it might well be true that the
west is/was eurocentric.being  part of the same race does not mean that one
has to take credit some one else's work.lets face it Icelanders did not
build Rome,to be black does not represent unity,there are  "black people" in
india,australia new guinea, etc we are not all the same and considering
that most people  now called "blacks" in america have a mixed ancestry.
I'm sure you can tell from my name why I resent the mande(mandingo)bit,its
an insult to our heritage and I would go  into it again.