GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Oko Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:29:18 +0200
Respect comrade Kabir,.
We are in one boat-.Never kill a messanger.Thank you for your well
deserved compliments to forward this nostalgic article about the
homecoming of Rap.It's nice.
The article was a teaser and opened they door to discussion with" The
rise and Market of African Rap" in the Mainstream that has devasting
consequencies if nothing is done about.preservintg and safeguarding ALL
authentic original African cultural norms and values ,not only music but
in all ART forms.
" like Bob Marley once said ........."kill them before they grow" in I
shot the sherieff (on Burnin CD)

We share this:
1.Ya -Yamnundow (your ex-neighbour) is a griot.Tuute njie is also a
griot.There authentic version of narratory and blended with vocals
classified them in the category.
He is a JJC in the business if Africa.I can read it through the lines.

2.The Folkoric terms
A.Kebetu- is gimmicking-It is often refered to as Huming and Miming
creating sound without words.
B.Tassyu- is a word command with gesture for a tune or a beat that
accelerate the dance to peak in.

3.The JAZZ (jaser) Is an original French word
Dr.Saine is a genius.We meet sometime ago at Dr.Nyang's house in DC
,(hello Dr ! ) I once wrote to him on the subject.The term was first in
the french quarte in New OrleansJazz is a french word it means gossip
The music may have it's roots on the instruments transported through the
middle passage and of course some songs of freedom and mystical
narrations.The word is "Jaser".The slaves called it Jazz because they
don't speak french Since the slaves were not allowed to communicate and
and to group as team.They used the music beats the timing and the signs
to communicate and plan attacks and Escapes.Whencyou were a slave and a
listerner of the Jazz wheather far or near you will know what was
happening in other plantations..
JAHASS BA HASS HAS NOTHING WITH JAZZ.
JAHASS + BA HASS IS = JAHASSEH it means mixture in wollof.

To be contuined

Oko Drammeh
In Roots