GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
pa ali ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:08:23 -0000
>"It was 36 years ago on February 18, 1965, that The Gambia attained
>independence. What this meant on that day was that The Gambia will not be
>ruled, controlled, supported, etc., by others. From my personal
>understanding, it was meant to be full political independence with
>socioeconomic embodiments. However, 36 years after the declaration of that
>independence, The Gambia's political and economic institutions are in
>shambles."

CORRECT,we are not independant(anybody can check any english dictionary and
understand the meaning of this word).what happened in  febuary 18 1965 was
only a transfer of the supervision of the colony and protectorate of the
gambia to gambian politicians.the tasks of these gambians were to see to it
that the plunder of the people and the country by foreigners continued in
addition to their own previleges.this fact explanes the all round
degeneration to this day the yaya regime  only intensify it since  july 22
1994-

>"Meanwhile, even though this Independence Day celebration could have meant
>more sense to me, I must still pay my tributes to Sir Dawda, P.S. Njie,
>S.M.Dibba and many others for their individual and collective participation
>in the attainment of independence for The Gambia."

since the present is a continuation of the past from 1965, we will do great
justice to the gambian people by evaluating the individual and collective
participation of the above named alongside others not named in  the period
to 1994.

Gambians must understand the period 1965 to 1994 but also 1994 to the
present danger in the gambia, with yaya and a new generation of facists.a
correct historic analysis must be made to  equiped us in the search for a
wayforword to brake once and for all the viscious circle of bad policy ,
leadership and as a result national tragedy-

i end this note with an observation of the common desire of people all over
the gambia.this is the massage wishpered in my ears as i leave them once
more behind. with eyes full of tears and hearts near to braking point as the
news of mutual genocide in guinea conakry filled the arrival hall of yundum
airport.

"When will this independance end .do not wish us "happy independance"
speed up the work to unite from the outside.we are working to unite in the
inside.when we unite the outside and the inside mentally and materially we
will end this kind of independance and start a real independance that will
bring properity and peace to all.

The road ahead will not be easy and quick ,we hope for  peaceful solution
but we will not repeat the mistakes of volutary death as our liberian.
sierra leeonen  and now guinea conakry relatives.dont betray our hopes.
spread the massage . never forget our needs. start the preparation to join
us. remember you have been away for to long and we need the  experience of
the outside gambians in the comming period

if you hear we have left to join the elders in heaven dont cry .concentrate
on the task we have entrusted upon you and return when the task is done to
join the people.there is no peace of mind in betrying the peoples
hope.honour awaits those who fulfill the peoples hopes."